MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User Color Select
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In MyBB 1.8 we have the base color system where we can attach different color schemes to a single theme and then select which one to use under the theme options in the ACP.

How about linking this feature to the front end and premitting users to select the color scheme they would like to view the forum in themselves from the list of base colors the admin has attached to the theme, through an option in the UCP or maybe a selection panel in the header of the forum?

I think this would be a cool and popular feature Smile
Great idea!
Thanks!
No one? I know such a feature is popular. Given the attachable colors system in place in 1.8, I'd find it only logical to allow users to decide for themselves which of those attached color schemes they want to view the forum in.
I saw this stated somewhere, though

Quote:[Attachable base colors] allow you to create colours to which you can attach stylesheets (just like you can attach stylesheets to pages). You can also set a display order for all your stylesheets so that they can override styles. Together, the changes mean you can add a theme with as many custom colours as you want. Using the parent/child theme structure that already exists in 1.x you can restrict or allow certain usergroups to use these colours and, as they inherit the main stylesheets, they’re very easy to manage. So, there is no longer the need to install a dozen different themes just for a different colour header.

Tom Moore, MyBB lead developer

Does this mean the same thing/feature I'm asking for in this thread, in one form or another?
IIRC, Tomm told me when he implemented it that it was there simply to make developing and distributing variants of themes easier and those who want this functionality should use a plugin.

The information in the blog is referring to forcing certain groups to see a specific color. They don't get to choose.
(2013-12-16, 04:00 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC, Tomm told me when he implemented it that it was there simply to make developing and distributing variants of themes easier and those who want this functionality should use a plugin.

The information in the blog is referring to forcing certain groups to see a specific color. They don't get to choose.

I see.

That's not really what 'you can restrict or allow certain usergroups to use these colours' suggests to me, though.

But thanks for clarifying.

It would still be cool to let the users choose though. It would seem only logical to me. Admins could set one of the theme's attached colors as the default one, but users still able to choose for themselves in which of the colors they want to browse the site.

There are several 1.6 themes around with a color toggle feature implemented in one way or another, and well-received. It's things like this that bring themes to greater heights, and give them that special, premium feel. Andn ot to mention, people like to be able to customize their forum experience. It would make this forum software that much more popular.

The attachable colors system put into place in 1.8 makes this a very easy to implement feature.
like like
You would also need permissions for that.
I don't like the idea that much personally - a community should have a distinctive look to all users.
If a user would want custom color he could just go ahead and load a custom CSS file for that page, if he feels it's worth going through the trouble (which I know some do - like making full width sheets for fixed width communitys). Toungue

The MyBB team should focus on other stuff imo.