MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Internal Server Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK - noob here and a new installation.

I can view the public side of the forum, but when I go to the Admin side I get the Internal Server error.

http://www.hockeyteamstats.com/trhl/foru.../index.php
What is ./admin/ CHMOD to? Have you added a .htaccess file to that folder? Do you have access to any server logs to see if there's any information in there?
CHMOD is set to 777 for the admin directory, I do have an .htaccess file in that directory that is empty (should it have content in that file?).

Error log: [Thu Oct 10 12:52:46 2013] [error] [client 96.229.78.140] SoftException in Application.cpp:601: Directory "/home/vacsew/public_html/hockeyteamstats.com/trhl/forum/admin" is writeable by group, referer: http://www.hockeyteamstats.com/trhl/foru.../index.php
the admin directory should not need more permissions that 755. Your webserver is complaining about the lax security.
Bingo! That was exactly the problem. Thanks! I will be back with more questions I am sure.

I could have swore that that was what the instructions said to set it to. Oh well. Smile
Don't think it says anywhere to change the permissions of ./admin; ./inc/languages/english/admin maybe, but not the main admin folder.
Either way, I am now up and running. Unrelated question (and I know I have not explored everything yet), I want to change the logo (upper left). Where should I look?
^ admin panel >> themes >> Default --> scroll down for Board Logo --> change image path
(2013-10-11, 08:00 AM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]Don't think it says anywhere to change the permissions of ./admin; ./inc/languages/english/admin maybe, but not the main admin folder.

You almost never want any files or folders on your web server to have 777 permissions. The first digit says what permissions the file (or folder) owner has; the middle digit goes for the group; the last digit is for everyone else. Each digit contains permissions to read(4), write(2), and execute(1) the file / folder. A permission of 777 means that anyone can read the file, change the contents of the file (or even delete it!), or run it as if it were a program.

The only places you want the web server to have write permissions are directories users may upload files (eg. custom avatars).