MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP Relay to Protect Server IP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently set up my new MyBB install to use a SMTP relay using Gmail (since it's free) to try and protect my server IP.

What I didn't realize, was that if you view the headers of the message, that you can still see the Ip where the mail orginated - then went to google - then to the recipient's email.

I know that some admins, like crazy4cs (and I'm sure that labrocca does too) use SMTP server relays to protect their server IP, but I clearly seem to be missing something.
They use their own servers. I do this as well. You'll need to buy another server (VPS, as a dedicated server would be a waste of money unless you have a huge site). You'll need to configure your mail application to not send headers. It's very simple to do. You can also get the server IP via remote avatars. You can use Google to find out how to fix this - but again it'll require another server.
just put another IP on your VPS/dedicated and setup mail on that IP and drop all traffic to it other than the required mail ports for your setup (eg 25/26/435/993/567)
use amazon ses Smile i been using it for months and pay only 1.80$ a month for sending a few k emails. It will hide the server IP Wink
(2013-10-13, 08:10 AM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]You'll need to configure your mail application to not send headers.

Is there a guide on this somewhere?

(2013-10-13, 08:10 AM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]You can also get the server IP via remote avatars.

I have a fix for that, and it's next on my list actually.

(2013-10-13, 03:19 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]just put another IP on your VPS/dedicated and setup mail on that IP and drop all traffic to it other than the required mail ports for your setup (eg 25/26/435/993/567)

When I get a VPS in the future as well, I'll most likely do this. For the time being, I think I'll pay for SES as it'll be cheaper.

(2013-10-14, 05:01 PM)Fayaman Wrote: [ -> ]use amazon ses Smile i been using it for months and pay only 1.80$ a month for sending a few k emails. It will hide the server IP Wink

Is it easy to configure with MyBB?
yep very easy under the mail settings/smtp just add the info you got from amazon Smile
(2013-10-14, 05:56 PM)Fayaman Wrote: [ -> ]yep very easy under the mail settings/smtp just add the info you got from amazon Smile

I just sent a test email and it looks impressive.

And there's no way that your host ip can be resolved from this?
(2013-10-14, 06:20 PM)Persona Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-14, 05:56 PM)Fayaman Wrote: [ -> ]yep very easy under the mail settings/smtp just add the info you got from amazon Smile

Not that i know off you can check the header and see there is no info from your server.

Im using a gmail adress as sender so they reply to that if needed.
(2013-10-14, 06:56 PM)Fayaman Wrote: [ -> ]

Not that i know off you can check the header and see there is no info from your server.

I noticed in one of your threads you said you had been having issue with SES, has that been resolved?
(2013-10-15, 02:46 AM)Persona Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-14, 06:56 PM)Fayaman Wrote: [ -> ]

I noticed in one of your threads you said you had been having issue with SES, has that been resolved?

Yep its fixed now Smile see http://community.mybb.com/thread-146492-...pid1041836
Pages: 1 2