MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to backup your mybb incase of Emergencies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI, i'm not sure whether im using the right format but either way i hope you can help me. Anyways i'm currently using a free webhosting service along with a domain that i purchased a few months ago. Now i'm building my site etc. but my real question is this, How would i be able to more everything from one hosting to another? Would i simply save everything i have store in my FileZilla or must i download one of the backup zip file that is found in the control panel?

Its just question for simplisity once i settle my theme correctly along with plugins and obviously have some decent threads. Also if im changing the domain, would i simply go into Control Panel (Admin Panel) -> Configuration -> General Configuration -> (Change all these) Board URL & Cookie Domain or must i do more stuff whenever i look to change it?
you would need backup of files and backup of the database.
if the web host control panel provides backup of all the files and the database then that would be fine
or along with the files, you have to take database backup from web host panel or from MyBB forum's admin panel
(2013-10-12, 03:33 AM)JonathanAV95 Wrote: [ -> ]HI, i'm not sure whether im using the right format but either way i hope you can help me. Anyways i'm currently using a free webhosting service along with a domain that i purchased a few months ago. Now i'm building my site etc. but my real question is this, How would i be able to more everything from one hosting to another? Would i simply save everything i have store in my FileZilla or must i download one of the backup zip file that is found in the control panel?

The easiest method would be to copy the entire directory that you installed MyBB to, ie: /home/public_html or something along those lines, and then you'll need to have a current backup from the SQL database. If you haven't backed anything up off-site then get into a habit of doing that regularly. Don't rely on a free host to backup your stuff.
If you have more questions about creating SQL backups a google search should turn up more than enough answers for you.

(2013-10-12, 03:33 AM)JonathanAV95 Wrote: [ -> ]Its just question for simplisity once i settle my theme correctly along with plugins and obviously have some decent threads. Also if im changing the domain, would i simply go into Control Panel (Admin Panel) -> Configuration -> General Configuration -> (Change all these) Board URL & Cookie Domain or must i do more stuff whenever i look to change it?

This is not a straight forward question you ask, I think you mean if you change your domain name, and if so then yes you'd have to update the boards settings to reflect the correct name etc, but the real change would be with the host.

Make backups regularly and often...
Quote:Its just question for simplisity once i settle my theme correctly along with plugins and obviously have some decent threads. Also if im changing the domain, would i simply go into Control Panel (Admin Panel) -> Configuration -> General Configuration -> (Change all these) Board URL & Cookie Domain or must i do more stuff whenever i look to change it?

Yes. You can change your board URL in ACP but you have to update your boards URL somewhere else as well. You need to log in to your FTP then head over to your settings.php file (/inc/settings.php) and find:

$settings['bburl'] = "DOMAIN";

Take a look at a post of mine on another thread.

Link: http://community.mybb.com/thread-146575-...pid1041307
(2013-10-12, 07:00 AM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Its just question for simplisity once i settle my theme correctly along with plugins and obviously have some decent threads. Also if im changing the domain, would i simply go into Control Panel (Admin Panel) -> Configuration -> General Configuration -> (Change all these) Board URL & Cookie Domain or must i do more stuff whenever i look to change it?

Yes. You can change your board URL in ACP but you have to update your boards URL somewhere else as well. You need to log in to your FTP then head over to your settings.php file (/inc/settings.php) and find:

$settings['bburl'] = "DOMAIN";

Take a look at a post of mine on another thread.

Link: http://community.mybb.com/thread-146575-...pid1041307

That was very helpful and well appreciated thank you Big Grin