MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone Else Like Firefox's New Mobile OS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Mozilla's new mobile OS, Firefox OS, hasn't really gotten much media coverage. Sadly, because I think it's a good platform.
[Image: intro.jpg]

Anyone else considering getting the zte? Big Grin
I don't have anything to install/test it out on but from what I've been reading about it, it doesn't really make any sense to use it instead of just android correct?

It looks nice, but it's not the apps are going to want to make any one switch over? Since they're just HTML apps. And if I understand properly it doesn't even have any ability to use android apps at all.

It doesn't look like anything that's going to gain any traction.
Could be good for developing markets, maybe; I assume it will run on much lesser hardware than Android can handle.

That said, Mozilla seems to be floundering in general to me. Firefox's popularity has plummeted.
(2013-10-13, 12:15 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Could be good for developing markets, maybe; I assume it will run on much lesser hardware than Android can handle.

That's what Mozilla said when they announced the OS. They clearly said its not going to be replacement for Android. Its just for people who wish for smartphone experience but with low budget.
But with Android mobiles available as cheap as $50, i don't think anyone would expect something more cheaper.
So you guys don't think anything will happen with it? I am curious to see where this will go. A lot of developers are starting to realize that the iOS/Android app market is huge and takes a lot to get into. With smaller markets like this it's a lot easier since you have much, much less competition.

Quote: I don't have anything to install/test it out on but from what I've been reading about it, it doesn't really make any sense to use it instead of just android correct?
Mozilla made a Firefox add-on to create and test out apps without having the phone. It runs in firefox.
(2013-10-13, 04:03 AM)MobileMod Wrote: [ -> ]So you guys don't think anything will happen with it? I am curious to see where this will go. A lot of developers are starting to realize that the iOS/Android app market is huge and takes a lot to get into. With smaller markets like this it's a lot easier since you have much, much less competition.

If that were true the windows market would have a lot cool apps already Toungue.
(2013-10-13, 04:14 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-13, 04:03 AM)MobileMod Wrote: [ -> ]So you guys don't think anything will happen with it? I am curious to see where this will go. A lot of developers are starting to realize that the iOS/Android app market is huge and takes a lot to get into. With smaller markets like this it's a lot easier since you have much, much less competition.

If that were true the windows market would have a lot cool apps already Toungue.

True. Their market is definitely lacking.

How do you monetize a market like this?
Many devs are realising how much a pain it is to develop both Android and iOS versions of an app, and are just using a platform which works on both, HTML5 (which will also work on Windows Mobile and more exotic platforms).
Basing a mobile OS to run off HTML makes a lot of sense to me.

I also trust Mozilla a lot more than all the other commercial manufacturers out there, in terms of developing a product with the user being the focal point.

(2013-10-13, 05:45 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]How do you monetize a market like this?
Mozilla is a non-profit organisation, so I would expect monetizing a market isn't their top priority, or at least as high on the list as it would be for other companies.
It would be for third party devs, though. No dev is going to create apps for Mozilla OS if they can't make money from it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4