MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion - MyBB fresh install database backup notice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's not unusual to see threads like these. Honestly its not poor fellow's fault if they're very new to online website running world, at some point, we all were.

What I think (and from my point of view couldn't hurt) is to add a sharp noticeable notice in bold colored letters on finishing fresh MyBB installation on the final step screen that taking database backups are very important in case of any problems or emergencies. Maybe you can link to database backup wiki/doc (if there's any) by hyperlinking to read or know more.

Just my two cents. It's good for new webmasters. Smile
Ouch.
Well, that's unfortunate. While I'm just now returning to web administration after an extended absence and on my first MyBB install, I feel that this would be an excellent addition to the installer.

Some people just don't understand how important a database backup is - until they need one.
Ya, but a backup of a fresh install wouldn't do him any good. I'm sure he won't forget to backup ever again though. It's things like this that teach new admins the importance of backing stuff up.
I am paranoid. I have

1. Daily server level host backup (VPS)
  2. Daily (with retention) WHM Server backup of all accounts and DBs (of my VPS account) that FTP to my home for remote storage
  3. Cron based daily backup for DBs (mysqldump) for my main sites at the account level that run at a different time than the WHM backups.

Proper backups matter and are essential, even to us advanced users and even those of us that get paid to manage servers, they are important since we occasionally screw up and require a server reimage 7 hours before a site goes into live/production mode...... Confused
(2013-10-15, 11:45 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Ya, but a backup of a fresh install wouldn't do him any good. I'm sure he won't forget to backup ever again though. It's things like this that teach new admins the importance of backing stuff up.
Neither I suggested a fresh db backup notice. Smile

Just a note saying how much backups are important and how they should do backup regularly. So that'd fit in well in their mind. It's a fact. When I and I hope I can speak for many of the people here was new to site/forums management 4-5 years ago, I learned hard way too, fortunately that was just a test site which I was trying couple of things on. So prevention is better than cure.

A nice notice couldn't hurt IMHO. Smile

(2013-10-15, 09:33 PM)Persona Wrote: [ -> ]Some people just don't understand how important a database backup is - until they need one.
Perfect example. Smile
(2013-10-15, 06:44 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]It's not unusual to see threads like these. Honestly its not poor fellow's fault if they're very new to online website running world, at some point, we all were.

What I think (and from my point of view couldn't hurt) is to add a sharp noticeable notice in bold colored letters on finishing fresh MyBB installation on the final step screen that taking database backups are very important in case of any problems or emergencies.

I also think that, in the case of the thread linked as an example, there should be a big huge warning notice in the installer if the database you are going to use already has tables with the same name (as the next installer step will drop them).

(2013-10-15, 09:33 PM)Persona Wrote: [ -> ]Some people just don't understand how important a database backup is - until they need one.

I once read a quote, something along the lines of "There are two types of people in the world, those who keep backups and those who haven't yet lost any data."
MyBB already shows a notice if you go to /install/ if you already have a board installed. Below it asks to proceed to upgrade instead as installing would drop tables.
I don't think it shows a notice on new installations though.
To be honest I thought it already did this.
(2013-10-16, 10:14 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it shows a notice on new installations though.
That's what I said.

(2013-10-16, 11:16 AM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I thought it already did this.
Oh, not sure if MyBB does now because the last install I had was way back. Smile

Correct me if I 'm wrong please.
Pages: 1 2