MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How about a "Nested" view - It's a hybrid Threaded/Flat view
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's an example:

http://www.pd9soft.com/megabbs/forums/th...17&start=1

[attachment=4982]

It's great for allowing you to follow a conversation, while not having to click on every single post as in the threaded view.

MegaBBS is the only board I've ever seen have that feature, but it's support is dying out.
How would we tell to nest the posts? By quote?
Tikitiki Wrote:How would we tell to nest the posts? By quote?

By the "reply to".

Actually the way that MegaBBS does it is it has an "indent level"

Somehow, you're already doing the indent level thing in the way you indent the threaded subjects in threaded view.

I don't see anything in the database that tells it that though, but I imagine that same setting, wherever it is would tell you how to nest the posts.

But essentially...

It should be the same logic you use for Threaded view on the subject lines, except you'd display the whole post for each one.

D
Yeh, we already have a 'replyto' field in the database that stored which post it replied to. That would be pretty easy to nest.

Also, I believe vBulletin has this feature too. Or maybe it was IPB hmm...
Tikitiki Wrote:Yeh, we already have a 'replyto' field in the database that stored which post it replied to. That would be pretty easy to nest.

Also, I believe vBulletin has this feature too. Or maybe it was IPB him...

You'd be better than Vbulletin. Smile They have "hybrid" which is nested subjects on the top, and flat mode on the bottom.
If it helps at all, I've got a running version of Megabbs, that just doesn't handle a lot of traffic well. But I can let you guys play with the MegaBBS code as a learning process.

Just let me know.