MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: NodeBB - Node.js powered forum software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Might not seem anything fancy, but the way they're managing the update of the codebase is really clever. They're slowly updating it gradually, rather than doing a whole rewrite.
(2013-10-19, 02:31 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Might not seem anything fancy, but the way they're managing the update of the codebase is really clever. They're slowly updating it gradually, rather than doing a whole rewrite.

you're saying about 1.8 to 2.0?
because if it is from 1.6 to 1.8 does not make much sense ...
Yep, 1.8 to 2.0. I know concerns have been expressed by many about it. WHile the re-write is long overdue in my opinion, many would probably prefer it to be a gradual process.
(2013-10-20, 08:44 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, 1.8 to 2.0. I know concerns have been expressed by many about it. WHile the re-write is long overdue in my opinion, many would probably prefer it to be a gradual process.

about this I have to agree.
indeed is worrying the need to rewrite zero.
development will be very slow I believe.
in addition to no plugin will be compatible with 2.0...

but at the moment I'm quite anxious by 1.8...
after the release of 1.8 we could take this more seriously.
(2013-10-18, 03:18 PM)MobileMod Wrote: [ -> ]I like the single-page layout, it's amazing on mobile devices.

Did you actually use it on mobile? It looks pretty awful.

[Image: i3dfQ4Al.jpg]
[Image: EQrysHhl.jpg]
[Image: QPUp5kjl.jpg]

Mobile aside, it's ... interesting. The index layout doesn't do anything for me. The forumdisplay is similar to how I've done Harajuju's, though I do like the little icon listing the number of unread posts in the topic – I wonder if this can be done in MyBB?

Annoyingly, you can't Command+click to open a link in a new tab. Dealbreaker for me and a common problem with Javascript links to make an entire area clickable. I had to do a lot of work to circumvent this on Harajuju.

This is atrocious:

[Image: o758v1Q.png]

Also, it scrolls really slowly.

I think there are some good ideas here but ... I don't really like it. It seems to be trying to solve the same problems as Discourse, but I like Discourse a bit more. But both XenForo and VanillaForums seem like better options with regards to "progressive" forum software.
(2013-10-23, 03:46 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]The forumdisplay is similar to how I've done Harajuju's, though I do like the little icon listing the number of unread posts in the topic – I wonder if this can be done in MyBB?
It would require additional queries to calculate that number for every user which would probably decrease the performance.
But writing a plugin for it shouldn't be hard. Wink
Eh, it doesn't sound like it would be worth the performance hit.
Quote: Did you actually use it on mobile? It looks pretty awful.
Yes I did use it on mobile. The layout is nice and the website is snappy on mobile. It gives it that application feel. This software is still in development so I'd imagine that they will fix all the small bugs on mobile that you're nit-picking at.
(2013-10-19, 02:31 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Might not seem anything fancy, but the way they're managing the update of the codebase is really clever. They're slowly updating it gradually, rather than doing a whole rewrite.

My experience tells me that slowly updating something, that is re-writing pieces of code as time goes, will lead to unpredicted issues, unless planned very very carefully.

When a full re-write takes place, everything is planned from scratch, that is, most of the future needs and events are taken into account before coding takes place, allowing for a better way of dealing with bugs and increases the chance of being prepared for future issues.

In the near future, phpBB's approach may be wiser but when it comes to longer term, a full re-write is much wiser.
(2013-10-28, 05:47 PM)MobileMod Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: Did you actually use it on mobile? It looks pretty awful.
Yes I did use it on mobile. The layout is nice and the website is snappy on mobile. It gives it that application feel. This software is still in development so I'd imagine that they will fix all the small bugs on mobile that you're nit-picking at.

I'm not nit-picking. Look at my screenshots. It's unusable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6