MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to make new install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Incorrect. MyBB's licence is GNU LGPL so he can fork it, modify and redistribute as long as he follows the agreement. Copyright in footer has no meaning, except the fact you won't be able to ask for support here if you remove it.
As i know if you mod or change some parts of code you have to put this, where do you take a base script and take final credits to you, because if your new compilations has troubbles or something, you have to give support for that and make no responsabilities to the core files, because your work may damage the contents or something, if you code is more secure, even you may have credits to this, because is your work xD. But you have to tell the copyrights and your new licence, but taken the copyleft permission or something like that i don't know how really works this.

But you only add in core files you own code, so you have entire info because you have the entire source code, but you don't ask for support if you change this as you wish xD.

Maybe i'm wrong, but i thing you have all info inside the files, so you can to add your own distro, like linux does.

Only take the credits for the core, but so many authors can make their own distro beause the license tal about this. I thing MyBB works similar to this xD.
(2013-11-01, 01:42 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Incorrect. MyBB's licence is GNU LGPL so he can fork it, modify and redistribute as long as he follows the agreement. Copyright in footer has no meaning, except the fact you won't be able to ask for support here if you remove it.

I believe the terms of LGPL mean that, should you rebrand a modified copy of MyBB and distribute it, you must leave MyBB's copyright intact but your users can rebrand.

EG; I fork MyBB, call it YourBB and stick half a dozen new features in. I can redistribute BUT the copyright must be visual. You then download YourBB, you can remove the MyBB copyright, but not the YourBB copyright.
With "no meaning" I was replying mainly to previous post, in which author said you need "written permission from MyBB" because of the copyright in footer, which is obviously invalid. Maybe I didn't word it in a fully understandable way, but I have never said you can redestribute it without giving any credit to original project and claim it as own work. I meant its existence there is nothing more than "thanks" and the important stuff is mentioned in licence so he shouldn't have written his opinion based only on that because it has "no meaning".
Pages: 1 2