MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: An Admin stepping down wishing to keep existing PM's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello folks, I trust I have posted in the correct forum Confused
I tried to search for this question but was probably not entering the correct search terms.

I've not been in this situation before.
I have a forum Admin who wants to step down but does not want to lose all of their PM's.
Is there a way for them to keep the PM's?

Do I need to create a new group within the admin section but locks them out of the ACP/admin board within the new permissions.
Or is it possible to achieve keeping their PM's another way. Any options welcomed.

Sorry if this is a basic question for you.
Why wouldn't they keep their pms?
Is PM's an abbreviation for permissions by chance? Just create a new group with the exact same permissions as admin (removing/adding whatever you feel necessary) and then change the username color to be that of your normal members.
(2013-10-22, 10:35 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Why wouldn't they keep their pms?

Because user groups on the forum have different PM quota's. Admin has unlimited, Registered members don't.
By the admin now moving to Registered member, surely they will lose some of their PM's due to the quota... IDK.

(2013-10-22, 11:01 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Is PM's an abbreviation for permissions by chance? Just create a new group with the exact same permissions as admin (removing/adding whatever you feel necessary) and then change the username color to be that of your normal members.

PM is abb. for Private Message(s).

Thanks for the replies thus far. Much appreciated.
Simplest solution is to create a copy of Registered Members and change the PM quota on the copy to unlimited, then put him in that group when he steps down.
Personally I would let the quota fallback to registered and force the former admin to clean up his inbox. I would also be tempted to simply purge his PMs because he may have admin information to your site and other private details he should no longer be privy to.
(2013-10-22, 11:40 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I would let the quota fallback to registered and force the former admin to clean up his inbox. I would also be tempted to simply purge his PMs because he may have admin information to your site and other private details he should no longer be privy to.

This is exactly what I'd do as well, especially from a security standpoint. There's no good reason to have so many PMs left in an Inbox that it exceeds what I assume is a reasonable quota.
Have him export them them. In all reality, nothing that is meant to be secure should be delivered via PM, ideally your ACP should be restricted by IPs if at all possible.

Example of exporting PMs:
http://community.mybb.com/private.php?action=export
Thank you all very much for giving me your ideas. I like them all and will utilise them.
Great to know there are always folks here willing to help Smile
(2013-10-22, 11:34 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Simplest solution is to create a copy of Registered Members and change the PM quota on the copy to unlimited, then put him in that group when he steps down.

Indeed.

A lot of forums have a "Retired Staff Member" group for this sort of thing.
Pages: 1 2