MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Don't recount post number of the thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't think I would be able to explain this suggestion properly so I would give an example instead.

Link: http://community.mybb.com/thread-146899.html

In the thread above, there were four posts in total. 2 by myself and 2 by Ben Cousins.

Right after post # 1, Ben Cousins made a post which was post #2 however after having post # 2 deleted by King Louis, my post number #3 become post #2.

You can understand better by taking a look at the link provided earlier in this post. (http://community.mybb.com/thread-146899.html)

Now my suggestion is when post # 2 was deleted, why was the post after that (Post # 3) changed to Post # 2 when originally post # 2 was deleted.

I think the recounting/this current renaming can be confusing. For example: If there was a post containing valuable data and it's removed and later in the thread someone mentions to checkout post # X and if it doesn't exist or gets replaced with another post, people will be lost. Same thing with reputation, if someone is +/- repped through a post and if that very post is removed/replaced with another post (Because they have the same post numbers), people would be lost/confused. Another example to add to this is scam reports/disputes, if a post is deleted and another post takes the deleted posts post number, it could totally change perception on the readers of the dispute.

Even though the current system is logically however it causes confusion. I think the re-numbering of posts if X post is deleted system should be improved or changed to prevent confusion and so on.
just a note :
#n visible at posts in a thread is only a indicator but it can be confusing when the posts are deleted / unapproved.
And in case of post reputations and reports, actual post number (pid) does not get replaced for deletions / un-approvals
We thought about leaving a notice for (soft) deleted posts. However if you remove all posts on a page, you'd have a page without any real post which is clearly not user friendly.
(2013-10-26, 08:20 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]We thought about leaving a notice for (soft) deleted posts. However if you remove all posts on a page, you'd have a page without any real post which is clearly not user friendly.

You have a valid point. What do you think about having some sort of small notice under "Forum Jump" or "Subscribe to Thread" saying the X and X reply # were deleted instead of having a small trow for each deleted post on the thread?

Or something to do with hover to inform people that a certain post was deleted on the thread.
That not as easy as it sounds as you'd need to calculate it for every page.
(2013-10-26, 08:20 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]We thought about leaving a notice for (soft) deleted posts. However if you remove all posts on a page, you'd have a page without any real post which is clearly not user friendly.

You could group the notices if there's more than two in a row and only count the one whole notice as a post. Shame that this won't work if you have: post, notice, post, notice... Although there could be a link at the bottom of the page which the user can click to show deleted posts and then show the notices between the existent posts.
(2013-10-27, 07:56 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]You could group the notices if there's more than two in a row and only count the one whole notice as a post.
I considered that but found no suitable way to do that. Undecided
(2013-10-27, 09:03 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-27, 07:56 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]You could group the notices if there's more than two in a row and only count the one whole notice as a post.
I considered that but found no suitable way to do that. Undecided

How about a small notice under the forum jump saying "This thread contains deleted posts" or something very similar then on hover or something it will show the post #s which were deleted.
That would result in a very long list if lots of posts are deleted...

Personally I don't see anything wrong with calculating the post # when displaying the thread, the identifier of a post should be the PID. If you copy the link from the post # then if links straight to it, no need to link to the thread saying "scroll down to post #9".