MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wordpress style plugin and theme installation.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I like the sheer simpleness of installing Wordpress themes and plugins. It'd be great to install, upgrade and edit plugins straight from the Admin CP.

It would save a lot of time, without board owners having to first download the files, then upload them vial FTP. At the moment it's a pain when setting up a board on mobile.

Of course all plugins and themes hosted on this site would have to follow strict packaging guidelines and be checked by moderators before being released to the public.

Any thoughts?
This has been debated before, and there's a *chance* 2.0 will make it happen since plugins will have their own folders rather than scattered files.

But it's not guaranteed.
I think this can happen. PM me if interested. I am a longtime WP developer...
I like this idea, but i don't think this will happen
Why do you think this will not happen?

(2013-10-29, 03:35 PM)Verilog Wrote: [ -> ]I like this idea, but i don't think this will happen

I can totally see this working and think it will happen. It because really time consuming installing new plugins by hand via FTP. Why deal with the mess when you can have a script deal with it for you?
this is good idea...
it saves time but server should be very strong to make it happen with Mybb 2.0, isn't is ?
Plugin Uploader works pretty well. Can't handle 7zip or rar though (but who distributes in a .rar anyway?).

As for in 2.0 I think some team members expressed support for it, but it's not confirmed at this point.
I think the team would love to offer it but it requires a lot more work as we also have develop a great server side set up for it too(as in MyBB.com's servers).
(2013-10-30, 07:39 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]Plugin Uploader works pretty well. Can't handle 7zip or rar though (but who distributes in a .rar anyway?).

As for in 2.0 I think some team members expressed support for it, but it's not confirmed at this point.
It never seemed to work for me, half the files would end up missing.

(2013-10-30, 12:52 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I think the team would love to offer it but it requires a lot more work as we also have develop a great server side set up for it too(as in MyBB.com's servers).

It'd be worth the effort Smile