MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Preventing non-English posts and topics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am running MyBB 1.6.11. I was wondering if there was a plugin that would block non-English posts and topics.
not impossible but definitely not practical or resource friendly. also no totally reliable ways to trap non-english words. even if you used a spell check system you would get false positives because people suck as spelling, the internet is prime for abbr's and acronyms, and you can fake characters with ascii codes, etc.

just tell your staff to moderate such posts.
Yeah, that's what I figured, but was hoping maybe there would be something to better manage unwanted posts that may not necessarily be spam. I guess I'll just stick to deleting them as they're created. I don't get a lot of them, so it's not a big issue, but if there was something to make my job easier, it's worth checking out.
If you're having particular problems with certain languages which use their own character set, for example, Russian, Chinese or such, you could use the MyBB in-built system for word filtering which would block those characters.
I've thought about that. I think I have the issue under control now. I banned some of the offenders and blocked some IPs and that seems to have helped control the abuse.