MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merge Kunena 3.x to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed MyBB and am in the process of setting up the forum. I have an existing forum, which isn't great, but has a whole bunch of posts and threads I'd like to keep for continuity.

I have read on various other forums that it is technically possible to import from a Kunena forum, but I can't seem to find instructions.

I'm not an IT noob, but working with php and websites is not my area of expertise, so my knowledge isn't quite up to scratch yet.

Can anybody help me?

I would like to import all the users and some of the threads and related posts at least.
LOL

its cool. think I'm going to have to accept the inevitable. OUCH!
^ well there is another method. you can first convert to SMF and then to MyBB !
(2013-11-01, 10:40 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ well there is another method. you can first convert to SMF and then to MyBB !

Hello everyone, MyBB newby here!

Back in March of this year I built a forum for my photo club (here) and I grabbed the nearest platform I could find which was Kunena. Now my members are crying out for a more advanced forum system and it looks to me like MyBB is the ideal solution.

I am now having the same problem as those in this thread, I am running Kunena 3.0.1 and would very much like to migrate the current threads, categories and users over to MyBB.

I have tried migrating to SMF but it doesn't work for me, apparently their migration tool doesn't work with my hosting company because they won't change their security settings, so I feel like I'm a little stuck.

I'm not at all familiar with PHP but I'm not averse to learning and am happy to get my hands dirty and do some work myself rather that simply relying on pre-engineered converters but I need some guidance.

Any advice at all, including stories of people who have successfully achieved what I am wanting to do would be very much appreciated.
(2013-11-01, 10:40 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ well there is another method. you can first convert to SMF and then to MyBB !

Thank you for your advice.

After searching for the converter I happened onto info of a converter from kunena to smf on the simplemachines website. I haven't done it yet, but hopefully it will all work out.

(2013-11-19, 08:19 AM)bothahe Wrote: [ -> ]

After searching for the converter I happened onto info of a converter from kunena to smf on the simplemachines website. I haven't done it yet, but hopefully it will all work out.

Didn't work. I'm going to have to change it. Seems like the script they have is for a very old version of kunena and there doesn't seem to be one for the newer kunena versions.

I don't have the skills in php to tackle the problem. Anybody want to take a crack at it? I'll mail you the script I have... Toungue
This is the error I received when trying to migrate Kunena to SMF. I appreciate that neither of those systems are supported in this particular forum but if there is an easy answer to these then it would be appreciated.

The converter detected that your host has open_basedir enabled on this server. Please ask your host to disable this setting or try moving the contents of your Fireboard 1.0.5 RC2 to the public html folder of your site.

Thanks

(2013-11-19, 08:40 AM)mesmorgan Wrote: [ -> ]This is the error I received when trying to migrate Kunena to SMF. I appreciate that neither of those systems are supported in this particular forum but if there is an easy answer to these then it would be appreciated.

The converter detected that your host has open_basedir enabled on this server. Please ask your host to disable this setting or try moving the contents of your Fireboard 1.0.5 RC2 to the public html folder of your site.

Thanks

I've checked with my host and they won't disable open_basedir.

Didn't work. I'm going to have to change it. Seems like the script they have is for a very old version of kunena and there doesn't seem to be one for the newer kunena versions.

I don't have the skills in php to tackle the problem. Anybody want to take a crack at it? I'll mail you the script I have... Toungue

Hi bothahe, I am using the fireboard converter which was recommended as being very similar to Kunena. I would be interested to know if that works for you.