MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Replace current smilies box with scrollible smilies box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The current smilies box covers a limited number of emoticons. To get more we have to click on the get more hyperlink which then opens up in a new window.

I was thinking how about having a scroll bar instead of having to open up a new window. I know this has been suggested once already in 1.6 however there was not much of a discussion on the suggestion on the thread. I feel that it would make it easier to find the emoticon you are looking for and for those who are posting through their smartphones won't have to open a new window to use an emoticon.

Looking forward to others' thoughts.
If the current box only displays the most used smilies and you had to click "get more" to see the full list containing less used smilies then I have no problem with it. I'm not too sure a scrollable box straight away is useful as most smilies may end up not being used. This would be especially bad if an admin had an insanely long list of smilies to choose from (not likely but would still be an issue).
Quote:If the current box only displays the most used smilies and you had to click "get more" to see the full list containing less used smilies then I have no problem with it.

I was first thinking this as this would be more appropriate but if this was to get implemented then the ordering of smilies in ACP would have be removed.
Or perhaps give the admin to sort them initially and then they can change a setting for it to sort by the most popular.
Anyway I think this is more suited to 1.8 and doubt it will be added to 1.6.
You can essentially already do this:
In settings set No. Of Smilies To Show to something over the number of smilies you have.
In your New Reply template find where the table#clickable_smilies is and wrap it in a div tag, give it an ID or class.
In your CSS give that ID/class a height and set overflow-y: scroll.

You may need to play around with the CSS a bit, but that should work.
(2013-11-09, 09:12 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Or perhaps give the admin to sort them initially and then they can change a setting for it to sort by the most popular.
Anyway I think this is more suited to 1.8 and doubt it will be added to 1.6.

I guess you're right. It should hopefully fit in with 1.8