MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: External Database Conection Won't Work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to move my MySQL database to a different webhost, but keep the MyBB installation on the current webhost. I can't get the installation to connect to the external database. The host name was "localhost", and I changed it to "server name.webhost name.com", but it won't connect. Is this the correct format for for database host?

Here is the error page on my website: http://teachereviews.x10host.com/
(2013-11-10, 03:46 PM)flyoffacliff Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to move my MySQL database to a different webhost, but keep the MyBB installation on the current webhost. I can't get the installation to connect to the external database. The host name was "localhost", and I changed it to "server name.webhost name.com", but it won't connect. Is this the correct format for for database host?

I am so frustrated, I can't figure this out. The homepage loaded fine, but I left and came back 5 minutes later and it was broken, I have not been able to get it to work since, here is the URL: teachereviews.x10host.com
(2013-11-11, 04:05 PM)flyoffacliff Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-10, 03:46 PM)flyoffacliff Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to move my MySQL database to a different webhost, but keep the MyBB installation on the current webhost. I can't get the installation to connect to the external database. The host name was "localhost", and I changed it to "server name.webhost name.com", but it won't connect. Is this the correct format for for database host?

I am so frustrated, I can't figure this out. The homepage loaded fine, but I left and came back 5 minutes later and it was broken, I have not been able to get it to work since, here is the URL: teachereviews.x10host.com

does the database host allow remote connections ? last time I did this I used the IP of the database host rather than its domain. just one question why do you need to do this ?
Whew!
That's a confusing question.
Your host is "localhost"?
If so, that would be your laptop or desktop development machine.
Is that right?

It appears that your website is actually a sub-domain.

Your post reads "server name.webhost"
Technically, I would expect it to be "server.name.webhost"
Something like "enterprise.bigservers.net"
Can you elaborate?
(2013-11-11, 08:07 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]

does the database host allow remote connections ? last time I did this I used the IP of the database host rather than its domain. just one question why do you need to do this ?

Yes, at first I had it set not to allow remote connections, and I got an acses denied error. Then I set it to allow remote connections from all domains. Then I tried it and it worked, but I left and came back 5 minutes later and it was broken, I have not been able to get it to work since.

Using the IP makes no difference.

I need to do this because I can't afford paid hosting, and for free hosting "x10host", the service is good, but they have a database packet limit of 1mb, and would not raise it. Since I have hundreds of boards on my forum, I was reaching this limit. I found another free host, Heliohost (server name "Johnny") that was willing to raise the limit for me. But their service is really slow and unstable, so I did not want to host the website with them.
Perhaps they blocked it because they want you to use their database?
(2013-11-12, 01:33 AM)flyoffacliff Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-11, 08:07 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, at first I had it set not to allow remote connections, and I got an acses denied error. Then I set it to allow remote connections from all domains. Then I tried it and it worked, but I left and came back 5 minutes later and it was broken, I have not been able to get it to work since.

Using the IP makes no difference.

I need to do this because I can't afford paid hosting, and for free hosting "x10host", the service is good, but they have a database packet limit of 1mb, and would not raise it. Since I have hundreds of boards on my forum, I was reaching this limit. I found another free host, Heliohost (server name "Johnny") that was willing to raise the limit for me. But their service is really slow and unstable, so I did not want to host the website with them.

if heliohost apache server is giving you bad service it may follow that the heliohost mysql server does also .... in any shared host enviroment you must expect slower service than dedicated. Paid for hosting may also be shared but they tend to put less clients on a host.

Quote:Perhaps they blocked it because they want you to use their database?

I would agree with that
Okay, I got it to work, and it worked fine for a week or so, but it just stopped again and has not been working for several days. The web host says there are no MySQL server problems.
It's obviously a problem with either the web host or the MySQL host. MyBB doesn't just stop connecting for no reason.