MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please Remove <strong> tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having hard time editing dozens of templates to remove <strong> tags. Instead using these tags, you may use font-weight: bold; property in .thead class. Using another tag for making text bold in thead area gives hard time for theme designers.
There are many areas where you could improve semantics. If we change this, we should also clean up other things in the HTML and CSS. Not sure how feasable this is though.

This would work fine as a quick hack:

.thead strong {
	font-weight: normal
}
Easiest way is to do it via a replace query within your database. Quickest route if you want to eradicate ALL of the <strong>s.ß
(2013-11-16, 08:10 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Easiest way is to do it via a replace query within your database. Quickest route if you want to eradicate ALL of the <strong>s.ß

I was aware about this but actually <strong> tags are useful in few areas like in stats template etc. Thanks for your heads-up Euan.

I think Fabio hit the nail perfect! Thanks Fabio
The strong tag is not deprecated and is supported in all (modern or not) browsers. Why are you looking to remove them?
I've re-structered the .thead class and bold thead text was looking bad with the colors I've chosed. So I was thinking to remove boldness from just thead <td>
.thead strong { font-weight: normal !important; }

Surely that's much easier?
Indeed, thanks for the heads-up Jason.
(2013-11-17, 05:36 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]The strong tag is not deprecated and is supported in all (modern or not) browsers. Why are you looking to remove them?

Because it's semantically incorrect. <strong> is designed for paragraphs where emphasis would be placed on the word ("that's a <strong>lot</strong> of pie"). If you just want bold for aesthetics, CSS is the only valid option.

Edit: Did not realize how much of a bump this was, whoops.
Unfortunately replacing <strong> tags across the whole theme simply for semantics isn't worth the result of theme developers having to update their themes so extensively.

To put it in perspective, across MyBB the <strong> tag is used over 1,200 times. In 2.0 we'll follow a set of guidelines that'll keep the front-end semantic and generally better written.