MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Resize Attached Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Reviewing my forum I have realised that due to some old settings it has allowed members to upload some very large images to the site - some pics are #~7MB!

I know I can limit any new uploads, but is there anyway to resize the existing attached images? I hoped that maybe I could just resize the images in the uploads folder, but as they are saved as a thumbnail and the main image data as an "Attach" file this doesn't seem possible.

Is there anyway to do this, any plugin that anyone is aware of?

Many thanks

DoN
Hi,

So no help on this one?
there is no plugin i am aware of that does this.
Is there any other way to possibly to do this?
It can be done, but it can be resource intensive if you are not careful.

An ACP plugin that will go through the attachments table and test for file size and then resize groups of images at a time is possible. Perhaps even rename the original so you have.

Please be aware that there are limitations to what can be done given PNG transparency and how GD handles it, not everyone has ImageMagick installed.

I don't think I have the time right now to make such a plugin. Too many things on my plate as it stands
@OP, there is a plugin coded for earlier version of MyBB - may be an expert coder can improve it (see its reviews)
(2013-11-23, 05:57 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]It can be done, but it can be resource intensive if you are not careful.

An ACP plugin that will go through the attachments table and test for file size and then resize groups of images at a time is possible. Perhaps even rename the original so you have.

Please be aware that there are limitations to what can be done given PNG transparency and how GD handles it, not everyone has ImageMagick installed.

I don't think I have the time right now to make such a plugin. Too many things on my plate as it stands

Could one not make a simple script that needs to be run every once in a while that does a simple loop on all images in the directory, resizes them if need be. Wouldn't have to be a plugin necessarily. Just an additional sort-of clean up script. Obviously would require something like GD or ImageMagick to run, and people who need to know this before running it (won't work otherwise).

@OP:

If that works for you, I can definitely do one as a gist quickly if you want.
Help, yeah its me again; I figured out a lot but still problems; I can't resize a header image in Photoshop... because it loses clarity. I need to resize it as can easily be done on a website, blog and maintain clarity; http://naturaleyesightimprovement-batesm...GuestPage/

See how big my header picture is. Won't fit. Where's the html or??? place to make it fit?

Solved; I found a image resizer; http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/upload and kept uploading different sizes of the picture until it fit.
Also adjusted the width ------ of the forum to perfect it.

The picture resizer loses some clarity when making the pic smaller but not too bad.