MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop Forum Spam for MyBB not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Since today I suddenly started having massive amounts of spam registrations.

I have the advanced recaptcha that replaces the stock mybb recaptcha, i have custom security questions, but suddenly im being bombarded with registrations and dumb spam threads that i have to constantly be deleting.

I installed the plugin for Stop Forum Spam for MyBB... but its not working!

I am finding all the emails, ip addresses from stop forum spam website but its still not blocking anything

Someone help me out?
Have the same problem. I've even changed the security questions and they still get in. I just spend over an hour working through the accounts to add some of the email addresses to the disallowed list with a * infront of the @. Seems to have helped, for now, but I can't block gmail or hotmail for example.
Check sfs_log.php in your root directory for your website. Is there anything logged in it? If so, it is probably functioning correctly. Also, what kind of spammers are they? You may want to consider editing the default SFS settings, though this may deny legitimate users to your site in some cases.
I created new security questions to watch the stats and since then I got 5 new spammers, but the stats on the security questions about how many got them right or wrong are still zero.

How would they be getting passed this?
Check your settings for Confidence. Smile
Someone I tried to help had similar problem on his site, the registered bots were listed in SFS log as blocked, no matter what the confidence was or which and how many other anti-spam plugins there were installed. Didn't solve it, still thinking about possible causes.
The same thing is happening to me. This just started last night. Up until then, I was not having any issues. I have the captcha as well as security questions. I am currently getting about 10+ new spam registrants every hour. They all seem to have different IP addresses, as well. Something has changed somewhere in the last couple days I think. We have not done any recent work and are running the most recent version of MYBB.

Has anyone figured out what is going on here?

Just an update, I changed the activation setting to where an admin has to manually activate them......I am still getting people registering and posting spam, even though I have not activated them. Something funny going on here....this just started happening in the last 2 days.
(2013-11-22, 10:38 PM)REPO Wrote: [ -> ]Just an update, I changed the activation setting to where an admin has to manually activate them......I am still getting people registering and posting spam, even though I have not activated them. Something funny going on here....this just started happening in the last 2 days.

Same here, but since I changed to activation I am getting no more spam. Are you sure the spam you are getting isn't from someone who already registered before you change it. Check the registration date and the last activity dates.
This plugin hasn't helped at all.. its like its not working.

I added the other fassim something which has an API key... since i added that i only get one or two a day... but still getting through... better but not stopped...

What's going on? And I created new security questions too and its like they are bypassing those as well
I too am getting the same thing and i also did exactly the
same things you did to attempt to stop the atacks. So far
like you.... nothing has worked!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4