MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Restore my database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host only provides one SQL database. AFAIK You make a new installation and then upload the sql backup to another database and use the merge system but, how do I restore it if I only have a single database?
one should also keep MyBB forum files backup to use when required. you can upload earlier forum files & use earlier database
How to change hosts successfully | How to transfer your forum to another host
If your host only provides one SQL database, my first recommendation would be to find a new host (I'm assuming this is a free host, if you are paying for this host, that is horrible).

I'm assuming your saying that you lost the data in the database, and you need to upload the sql backup to either another database, or the same database. I'm also assuming the backup is a .sql file (check this!)

If it is an .sql file, and you have phpMyAdmin (cPanel or not), you can follow this guide to importing the sql file into a new database. Because your host only allows 1 database however, you must first remove the original database OR delete the tables in the database (preferred). Make sure to do a backup on the database before you delete it; Even if the database has nothing important, it's always a good practice.

Simply speaking, a sql file is only a file with multiple sql queries. A backup .sql file will contain all the rows within this file. All you are doing when you are restoring from a .sql file, is running all those queries at once to restore the database to that state.

If you delete all the tables of the database, you won't have to change any mybb settings, or cpanel settings, and then you can just restore from the sql file, and everything will be back to normal.

This is, of course, assuming that you have a .sql file.

Please, backup everything before deleting anything first. I cannot stress how important this is. If I have a wrong sense of what is required, and tell you delete something, and you don't back it up. If I misunderstood, your data would be gone because you would have no backups.