MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Not using correct protocol.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my board settings, I have set mail to PHP mail. I ran the PHP mail test (the one in the documentation) and it works fine.

Whenever I open my forums and do something where the server would have to send mail (I used password recovery as my test), it says the e-mail was sent (but that's just a message hardcoded into myBB, I think), but at the top, I see "Error: SMTP Connect() failed." across the top. It seems like myBB is trying to use SMTP even though it's configured to use PHP mail.

Please advise.

Is there a php file in the myBB directory that handles these settings, or is it entirely configured through the admin CP?
It's a PHP error which is triggered by mail(). It seams there is a problem in your PHP configuration.
MyBB SMTP would never reveal an error like that and uses different error messages.
Where is mail() located, so that I can either attempt to fix it or paste it here for advice?
To clarify, though, I'm not trying to use SMTP with MyBB.

Supposing that I cannot fix this, I do have a functioning install of SSMTP (yes, two S's). Is there a way to point MyBB to that server? Essentially, my SSMTP config points to Google's SMTP servers with an account that I created there. I tried using the same parameters in the MyBB settings, but that same error persisted.

Also, my PHP installation is fresh (brand new server), so the configuration shouldn't have been tampered with (I'm the only sudoer).

I'm by no means a PHP expert. so here are some things which stood out in the php.ini file.

I'm running Arch Linux to clarify.

There were a couple of options in there for SMTP that pointed to localhost:25, but the comments stated that they were for Win32 only, so I ignored them.

My sendmail_path is commented out, but it was set to equal nothing anyway.

from is commented out. Documentation implies that it defaults to nothing. Should this be set?

That's what I found in the PHP config that stood out when I ran a search for "mail" in /etc/php/php.ini. Hope this points out something I'm overlooking.
(2013-11-26, 01:46 PM)2mac Wrote: [ -> ]To clarify, though, I'm not trying to use SMTP with MyBB.
Again, it's PHP using SMTP, not MyBB.
Probably one of the PHP settings you mentioned is not correct. Either you have specified to use SMTP or it can't find sendmail (or something equivalent). The PHP documentation may help you: http://www.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php
I take it none of the PHP configuration info I posted matters, then?

You say it might not be able to find sendmail. Are you referring to sendmail_from?

If I'm attempting to send my e-mails through a Google account, should I send from that Google e-mail address?

Further, am I asking the wrong forum about this? Should I instead post my issue on StackExchange or somewhere similar?

As stated in the original post, PHP mail is functioning correctly. A test e-mail page works just fine. MyBB is trying to use SMTP even though I have set it to a fully functional PHP mail.
Finally fixed after four days of no luck.

The native library for SSL wasn't enabled in php. For Arch users:

sudo nano /etc/php/php.ini

CTRL+W and search for extension=openssl

Uncomment extension=openssl.so
As I said, it was your PHP configuration... Great you've found the reason, unfortunately PHP does sometimes strange things instead of showing a helpful error message.