MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Creating a web application with a different language than PHP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While PHP is very widespread, sometimes you want to do something new and exotic.

What other languages are there that allow the development of web applications(web sites etc)? And while we are at it, how do people mix different languages? Like say a PHP front end with say a Python or C++ back end? How would/do the two communicate? And why would people opt to do it? Like, would Python be say faster at handling something than PHP?
There are many different languages - in fact nearly every language has a way to deal with web requests either as core or as a library or framework. Some of the best known are:

- Ruby (the Rails framework is the best known example)
- Python (Django is probably the best known framework here, but there are others)
- NodeJs (Express is currently the leader of the pack framework wise I believe, but you can write your whole server in node if you're feeling adventurous)
- C#.NET/VB.NET - the .NET framework has MVC and EntityFramework which provide a very powerful set of tools
- Go seems to be gaining popularity

Heck, I've seen talk of people creating sites using Lisp.
.asp is also a very common language for building web applications.
(2013-11-26, 07:12 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]There are many different languages - in fact nearly every language has a way to deal with web requests either as core or as a library or framework. Some of the best known are:

- Ruby (the Rails framework is the best known example)
- Python (Django is probably the best known framework here, but there are others)
- NodeJs (Express is currently the leader of the pack framework wise I believe, but you can write your whole server in node if you're feeling adventurous)
- C#.NET/VB.NET - the .NET framework has MVC and EntityFramework which provide a very powerful set of tools
- Go seems to be gaining popularity

Heck, I've seen talk of people creating sites using Lisp.

Some more would be

- Java (Scala can be included by itself, but it's mostly intertwined with Java)
- PERL and CGI

Most huge websites use a combination of many languages... (for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming...r_websites ).

Some huge websites compile their code to one of the C-based languages for better performance. It's not required for smaller websites because it's literally squeezing every bit of performance for their website. For example, Facebook released HipHop for PHP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HipHop_for_PHP)
If you feel homicidal you can even try silverlight.