MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why Switch?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently as admin of Zetaboards forum and although we are quite happy with the board I like to see what other options are out there as myBB seems more customizable and well, better looking.

After searching around on the forums for a while I've come up with a few questions.

- We do not want to pay for hosting. If we do ever switch it would be by using like icyboards. Would it also be possible to host it on a free .webs site? What are the limitations of doing this? Are there any other free options that I'm overlooking?

- What extra features would we get by switching? Admin-side and user-side.

- Are you aware of anything we'd lose?

- We are quite fond of a facebook style like/dislike system and the only plugin I could find was restricted to likes. Anything out there?

- I figure that it's impossible to convert/bring our Zetaboards information to myBB. Which would mean the manual copy/pasting of threads to the new board. How hard is it to do so? I mean when it comes down to manually adding to the post count, etc.
1) With IcyBoards they give you a subdomain, you can also use other free web hosting providers (such lime 00webhost etc. and find a free subdomain that they either give you, or through FreeDNS). There are no limitations to doing this at all, as long as the subdomain you want is not already taken and you know how to do basic A record management (if you use FreeDNS's route).

2) Full control, you could change files, add more pages, install more plugins that are not based on what is already there (can make your own plugins/edit them to suit your needs), etc.

3) Posts, threads, members who have registered since you can't convert ZB->MyBB as they won't give you the SQL file(s).

4) There is a plugin called "Thanks" or "Thank You/Like System" that is basically exactly what you have stated.
Note that the thankyou/Like system does not have a Dislike function. To get a dislike function, dont use that plugin instead use another one from resources.xekko.com
They provide one plugin which allows you to add custom like tags and other stuff.

Note to convert Zeta board to mybb, just google to convert Zeta to PHPBB or SMF. Some of the users there have written a script if I remember allowing you to export to PhpBB/SMF. From there convert to myBB.
(2013-11-28, 03:55 AM)Bala Wrote: [ -> ]Note that the thankyou/Like system does not have a Dislike function. To get a dislike function, dont use that plugin instead use another one from resources.xekko.com
They provide one plugin which allows you to add custom like tags and other stuff.

Post Reputation, from resources.xekko.co.uk gives the option of rating posts as positive or negative. It also hooks directly into the reputation system.
(2013-11-28, 08:52 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 03:55 AM)Bala Wrote: [ -> ]Note that the thankyou/Like system does not have a Dislike function. To get a dislike function, dont use that plugin instead use another one from resources.xekko.com

Post Reputation, from resources.xekko.co.uk gives the option of rating posts as positive or negative. It also hooks directly into the reputation system.

Most plugins are not happening if he doesn't want to pay a few bucks a month for hosting.

Also, funny to describe a "Facebook-style Like/Dislike system" and then say the only plugin you found is limited to just Likes ... exactly the way Facebook is.
As Brad said, your plugin choices depend on the hosting you choose. If you use something like icyboards, you are usually limited to a select few plugins. Paying for hosting is the best decision you could make.