MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ftp on localhost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
not necesary, you can unzip contents inside your own host, on your htdocs directory and wherever you put your MyBB files, only extract files inside and thats all, but of sure you can use filezilla if you wish to have your ftp for multiple accounts and virtual servers, but you have to configure on your opts to make it works, and it's so easy, but you can extract your files manually so, whats the point ?
Just that I may want to transfer files from my forum to my local host using ftp filezilla

I would like to be able to ftp using it as I use it for multiple accounts/forums and it would be easier to ftp using filezilla

is it possiable to do it what would be the host username and user and pass be
What people are trying to tell you is there is no technical need for FileZilla. However, if you would like to use FileZilla because you feel more comfortable doing so, then all the power to you. You can use the FileZilla FTP Server (if you are using windows). It should have come with XAMPP, but you can download and install by yourself if you would like:

Here is more information: https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_FTP_Server

Most Important Steps are:

Create a user and/or group with permissions to a home directory.
Add additional directory and set the alias name to display within home directory (e.g. /AliasName)

Make sure to do them correctly. I'm here if you need any help ofc.

If you are running Linux you would have to install and manually configure a ftp server yourself.
I running windows

Thanks very much for the info Smile
(2013-11-28, 11:48 PM)tdbnz Wrote: [ -> ]Just that I may want to transfer files from my forum to my local host using ftp filezilla

I would like to be able to ftp using it as I use it for multiple accounts/forums and it would be easier to ftp using filezilla

There is absolutely no purpose to that other than to waste system resources. You don't need to FTP to localhost, that's just stupid.. Just go to C:\xampp\htdocs or whatever you have it set as.
(2013-11-29, 08:25 AM)Stefan C. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 11:48 PM)tdbnz Wrote: [ -> ]Just that I may want to transfer files from my forum to my local host using ftp filezilla

There is absolutely no purpose to that other than to waste system resources. You don't need to FTP to localhost, that's just stupid.. Just go to C:\xampp\htdocs or whatever you have it set as.

Not necessarily. As he describes it, and as everyone assumes it, then you are correct, it isn't necessary.

However, if he goes ahead and port forwards to the filezilla server (or any other ftp server), he could technically use ftp to remotely manage his local website. He wouldn't be able to go his website (unless he port forwarded that too), but he would be able to remotely view the files for his forum which may help in if he isn't home.

He could also use it to access his website if he is on a different computer in his house and is too lazy to go to his computer running the website.

I wouldn't call it a waste of system resources, because then we should call utility software on our computer a waste of system resources (for example, a Twitter desktop client), because we don't technically need them... right?
Thanks Ok then I will not use the fillezilla for the local install of mybb

thanks for your advice I just wanted to use all my forums on filezilla but I seem I can't do it easy for a local host that is fine I just prefer filezilla as it fantastic and portable

many thanks to every one that posted have a great day or night where ever you are
thanks I totally understand

Now I topic is solved

tdbnz
Pages: 1 2