MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spoofing an IP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An odd thing happened this morning - a spammer with an email "[email protected]" spoofed my IP address in order to gain entry into a very private forum, or trick me into blocking my own IP address???

When I Googled the email address it came up with an IP address belonging to Google...

Strange.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to detect this sort of activitiy?
(2013-11-28, 09:07 PM)PaulaGem Wrote: [ -> ]An odd thing happened this morning - a spammer with an email "[email protected]" spoofed my IP address in order to gain entry into a very private forum, or trick me into blocking my own IP address???

When I Googled the email address it came up with an IP address belonging to Google...

Strange.

Has this happened to anyone else and is there a way to detect this sort of activitiy?

I don't know how googling an e-mail got you an IP, only thing I can come up with is that @gmail.com lead to a Google IP. Which isn't weird, as GMail is Google's mail service, therefor sent from their servers. However, what do you mean by "gained access into a very private forum"?
Other people coming into the site with gmail did not have google IPs.

Each member to the forum must be vetted and/or referred. I have gotten thousands of spam attempts from all over the world. The email address screams hacker, and I he somehow got my IP address.

Just hoping to learn something here.