MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB vs IPB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have downloaded and installed myBB and I'm impressed. It's very similar to IPB, and I think I like it better, since it's free and doesn't have a big, in-your-face logo saying INVISION POWER BOARD across the top. I will definitely use it, and I think it's wonderful to have a free package having the features of, and looking as professional as, a paid one.

I want to know what differences there are between this and IPB, such as what features this has that IPB doesn't and vice versa, and the advantages of one over the other (don't worry, I'm not going to pay for IPB now that I've found this Big Grin ). I haven't found any major differences, and mybb seems to have hell of a lot of features a so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks, and merry Christmas!
first of all, mybb is free!
ipb has wysiwyg editor but mybb does not have this
but i think that a wysiwyg editor is not exactly necessary
ipb has a full unread message tracking and mybb has a session based unread message tracking
both systems have a seo modification
but in my opinion, mybb rulez and it grows very quickly
MyBB is great if I have to say so myself. Thanks for the nice words. MyBB aren't that old really, but we are working hard to get it up to our and yours standards.

Coder Wrote:ipb has a full unread message tracking and mybb has a session based unread message tracking

Really? It doesn't set my pms to read after a session if that's what you meant. Confused

Cheers,
CraKteR.
Thanks for the kind enlightening words!. By 2.0, I am guaranteeing that MyBB will be a competitor with phpBB, SMF, and IPB Smile MyBB 1.4 will be another step in regards to standard features found in most other bulletin boards along with refinements of other features, and a complete remake of the ACP Smile

As of right now, we have most of the standard features of all the bulletin boards, and 1.4 will even get us closer to the total completion of that standard!

Cheers,
Tikitiki
CraKteR Wrote:
Coder Wrote:ipb has a full unread message tracking and mybb has a session based unread message tracking

Really? It doesn't set my pms to read after a session if that's what you meant. Confused

He means the posts, not the PMs.
DraconisCombine Wrote:I want to know what differences there are between this and IPB, such as what features this has that IPB doesn't and vice versa, and the advantages of one over the other (don't worry, I'm not going to pay for IPB now that I've found this Big Grin ). I haven't found any major differences, and mybb seems to have hell of a lot of features a so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks, and merry Christmas!

Hi there and welcome to MyBB Smile

I suggest you take a look at these comparison pages to start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...m_software
http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/Invis...Board+MyBB
These two sites are very 'rough' in their comparisons; they do not include detailed features. I also suggest you take a look in our Wiki ([wiki]main Page[/wiki]) which will give you a lot more information about MyBB.
Thanks for all the info!
Tikitiki Wrote:Thanks for the kind enlightening words!. By 2.0, I am guaranteeing that MyBB will be a competitor with phpBB, SMF, and IPB Smile MyBB 1.4 will be another step in regards to standard features found in most other bulletin boards along with refinements of other features, and a complete remake of the ACP Smile

As of right now, we have most of the standard features of all the bulletin boards, and 1.4 will even get us closer to the total completion of that standard!

Cheers,
Tikitiki
I think MyBB is already better than phpBB in a lot of respects, (phpBB 2.0.21 that is), eg. myBB has a much more fully featured ACP, and some simple things like subforums aren't even supported in phpBB without a mod (but they will be in phpBB 3, along with a host of other features). As for SMF, MyBB blows it out of the water. MyBB seems to be as elegant and powerful as IPB, SMF is basically rubbish in comparison.

The mybb ACP reminds me of the vBulletin ACP, and it's so packed full of features it's unbelievable. I wouldn't expect that much from a paid package, never mind a free one.

I think the only free package MyBB has to fear is phpBB3. It's going to be brilliant, but I think MyBB can definitely compete with it, maybe even beat it.
phpBB3 doesn't even have simple features like a calendar. True it does have some neat backend coding, but not much to improve the userfriendlyness, like Ajax features and such.
So I think MyBB already has beaten phpBB3, although I think MyBB 1.4 will just blow it away.
PhpBB does have some other neat features such as the Bot/crawler tracking thing (haven't really looked at it though)EDIT: Yippee, we have that here too!, and it has a VERY powerful BBcode to replace HTML, which they consider a security hole. I hope you're right about MBB 1.4 though, and I hope eventually MBB beats IPB and vBullein, although the new IPB looks very snazzy. Will MBB 2.0 be better than it?

I don't like vBulletin though, it's an overpriced resource hog that doesn't even look good on it's default theme. The only thing it has going for it is it's huge number of features.
mybb 1.4 will definetly beat IPB, Vbulletin and other forum software, it will be a revolutionary forum software, it will simply be the BEST
uhm you haven't even seen it and you already are saying that. Weird. Oh well. That's great then Smile

Cheers,
CraKteR.