MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Locking Threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel sometimes some threads are locked unnecessarily, when the thread is either developing into a decent community discussion or the OP has a valid question. The community is what keeps bulletin board software alive, locking threads that could be of use to people will only hurt the community.

I dont want to dictate how to run the forums as this is in no way my business, or am i saying it is run in a bad way. I just think sometimes threads are locked without reason, let me explain...

Example one
1.4 Default Theme discussion
This thread was started as a suggestion about a new default theme for MyBB. Nothing bad or unacceptable, just a simple idea from a user point of view.
It starts to develop into a decent discussion about what features users could see improvement on, which i believe is of great interest to the developers. Then the last post in that thread states a new default theme is planned for v2.0 so the thread is closed, as if to say, we have already decided on a new theme, we dont need idea's.
This thread could be of use to developers in the long run, as users will give their ideas and opinions about the MyBB software, and can only help improve its use in the internet world. Why would anyone want to close a thread like this?

Example two
Legitamate Question
This thread contains a question from a user about editing and moving the stats section of the forums. A question which i am also interested in, and other users present and in the future could be interested in. Another member replies to the original question stating you cannot remove the copyright from the code. This is fine, but the code he edited was NOT the copyright section. Because of this reply the thread was locked, and i believe in error as the OP did nothing wrong.

Well i hope you see my point, and try not to be so trigger happy on the lock thread button.

Discussions help a community grow!

Regards

Sye
I'm sorry, I accidentally clicked the close button on the 1.4 thread.

The second one however, is completely fair. The site in question had the copyright removed. If a user fails to have the copyright we have every right to deny support for our product. It's in the EULA. It's plain and simple and outlines that if you do not agree to it then don't even attempt to install our forum software. We also reserve the right to take legal action if the copyright is not put back within an alloted amount of time starting of the time the notice was sent out. The code modification has nothing to do with closing of the thread. It is because the site did not contain the copyrights required. If you would like to know details of how I obtained the site's domain, I had pm'ed him if he wanted help with his problem. In return he gave me his site address so I could look at what he wanted more closely. And then I saw he had removed it, so I closed the thread.
If the copyright was not removed, the original poster can easily contact a staff member with proof.

If you have a related question, and have a legitimate board, you're welcome to open a new thread with a reference to that thread.

Closing the thread right now is the quickest way to prevent support given to people violating the license. If we have done this in error, we apologize, please contact us via PM to resolve the issue.
Tikitiki Wrote:I'm sorry, I accidentally clicked the close button on the 1.4 thread.

The second one however, is completely fair. The site in question had the copyright removed...

...And then I saw he had removed it, so I closed the thread.

Of course you are in your rights to lock threads to people who remove the copyright, knowing this i apologise for using the second example.

Thank you for re-opening the default theme thread Smile