MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VPS Hosting Options: HHD vs SSD vs RAM vs CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2013-12-10, 01:04 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Why get a VPS at all for a new forum? Why not just used quality shared hosting?

So you're not interested in helping me decide which of these VPS hosting options to choose?

(2013-12-10, 01:17 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]END OF HUGE RANT Smile

Scalability is not an issue. My host is determined, and there is scalability there. Just looking for some opinions on which of these 3 VPS options would perform best with a MyBB forum. Thanks for your opinions.
all depends on the traffic and how reliable your host is in not of allocating resources.

my big board has been through 5-6 servers in its many years. started on shared, then a bigger shared, then a vps, then a dedicated, then another dedicated and now that I sold it and traffic is down, its back on a big VPS.

unless you have a ton of traffic, those should all perform the same. until your system max's out the ram and CPU, you wont notice anything between them. disk i/o is rarely an issue.

if you want to waste money, whether or not you can afford to, is your choice. but for a new site and only one site, shared is fine if you trust the host and are not storing private details (shared is often less secure than VPS on bad hosts). if you plan on running several sites, get a VPS and control all the sites on one account.

a single site starting out is wasting money not going with shared. spend the savings on marketing and software licensing, and stuff to help you grow instead
(2013-12-10, 04:43 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]unless you have a ton of traffic, those should all perform the same. until your system max's out the ram and CPU, you wont notice anything between them. disk i/o is rarely an issue.
Without factoring in price differences, this indicates the second option in the poll, HHD + 4 Core CPU + 2GB RAM, as the best performer (at some potential point). Yet, this option currently has no votes, while the other two have two votes each.
I have a server with HDD+2 CPU+2GB RAM.

I run MySQL 5.6.4+ (for fulltext indexes), use InnoDB for all forum tables, with the InnoDB buffer to be big enough to fit the entire database in memory. The sessions table is MEMORY type. MySQL caches pretty much everything in memory meaning it only needs to hit the disk for writes (or whenever MySQL is restarted).

I'm using the most recent stable PHP with APC, once the forum gets a handful of requests to the various pages pretty much the entire MyBB codebase is be compiled into bytecode and stored in memory meaning it will only check the modified times for files (and the OS will end up caching those in RAM too).

Memory usage sits just below 1.6gb for a forum with 600k posts. Average page load time is around 60-70msec, with the execution of PHP being the bottleneck (mostly parsings posts).
(2013-12-10, 07:22 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]I have a server with HDD+2 CPU+2GB RAM.

I run MySQL 5.6.4+ (for fulltext indexes), use InnoDB for all forum tables, with the InnoDB buffer to be big enough to fit the entire database in memory. The sessions table is MEMORY type. MySQL caches pretty much everything in memory meaning it only needs to hit the disk for writes (or whenever MySQL is restarted).

I'm using the most recent stable PHP with APC, once the forum gets a handful of requests to the various pages pretty much the entire MyBB codebase is be compiled into bytecode and stored in memory meaning it will only check the modified times for files (and the OS will end up caching those in RAM too).

Memory usage sits just below 1.6gb for a forum with 600k posts. Average page load time is around 60-70msec, with the execution of PHP being the bottleneck (mostly parsings posts).

So with these enhancements, more memory could be used to substantially improve performance. And that too indicates the second option in the poll, HHD + 4 Core CPU + 2GB RAM.

Of course I wouldn't know where to start in implementing these enhancements, but it's great to know this is possible. Thank you.

The poll currently stands at 2 (1GB RAM), 1 (2GB RAM), 3 (SSD option with 512MB RAM).
(2013-12-10, 01:18 AM)BR549 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-10, 01:04 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Why get a VPS at all for a new forum? Why not just used quality shared hosting?

So you're not interested in helping me decide which of these VPS hosting options to choose?

I voted but most the technical comments were already made. I mean for a new site all of these are overkill which why I made the suggestion I did. It's not like they're different hosts they're all the same host so it just comes down to performance of the hardware. Which in most cases the bigger number is faster Toungue. Or, the newer technology (in the case of SSD vs HDD).
(2013-12-10, 01:39 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I voted but most the technical comments were already made. I mean for a new site all of these are overkill which why I made the suggestion I did. It's not like they're different hosts they're all the same host so it just comes down to performance of the hardware. Which in most cases the bigger number is faster Toungue. Or, the newer technology (in the case of SSD vs HDD).
Thank you for your help and opinions.
Sounds like you just want to spend money because you have it and that is fine. If you would be better off spending the hardware savings on marketing your site so you get the traffic that would justify the nicer package.
(2013-12-10, 06:58 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you just want to spend money because you have it and that is fine. If you would be better off spending the hardware savings on marketing your site so you get the traffic that would justify the nicer package.

As already explained money isn't a factor between these 3 VPS options. The cost differences are so minor, any one of them wouldn't change the budget for any other related expenses.

And I've made this clear enough. This thread was to help me determine which VPS options would provide (at some point) more performance for a MyBB forum. And I'm certain I have that now. Thanks again.
What host are you at? I might be interested in looking since the costs are nearly identical. Apologies for missing you saying that.
Pages: 1 2 3