MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sidebars disappear and forum expands when choosing "Instant Email Notification"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys,

I have a MyBB forum and it is working great. Faster than other software I have used and user friendly. My forum is growing very fast so I am trying to keep up with everything that has to do with the forum administrating side.

I have noted 2 bugs, though I would like to report the one that is causing trouble in my forum.

My users are having a problem when they do this:
-Go into their user CP
-"Edit Options"
-"Default Thread Subscription Mode"
- and then choose "Instant email notification"

When they do the above (choose "Instant email notification"), the sidebars of my forum disappear and the whole forum stretches out to its limit it has without the sideboxes. When the user tries to undo the "Instant Email Notification" to the default option, the problem still persists. I have tried it with different accounts and to undo the changes as an Admin to no avail.

I am using a plugin for the sidebar, "Advanced Sidebox". It hasn't given me any trouble till now when a couple of users wanted to get instant notifications. I also noticed another bug (in my forum) to do with the user CP but that's for another enquiry.

I would appreciate if you could help me with this or if I have to inform the plugin developer too.

I believe I have to prove I have a forum and link back etc I do have all of that and I can confirm it with a moderator.

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

Edit: I have edited out the link to my site as I would rather confirm this through private. Please Mods feel free to request I give you my board URL privately; I have the adequate links to MyBB at my forum as requested when trying to ask for help. Thanks.
Please add the following information so that one of the experts can take a look at your issue!

Board URL:
Temp Access: Username and Password
Hi,
I haven't seen this bug but will try to reproduce it in testing.

If anyone else gets the error of can reproduce it, let me know.

@marcus123 it is never a good idea to post test account info publicly-- even registered account info with no staff permissions.
I am very sorry I was referring to PM
Hi guys!

Many thanks for the replies. I believe the thread was moved to General Support, just in case any of the developers who replied or are following this thread aren't aware. Apologies for posting it in the developer area as I wasn't sure whether this bug is purely related to the plugin or if it can occur with other plugins and it is something related to the actual code.

I would be more than happy to create a forum account for you to reproduce the bug (any regular forum user can choose the "Instant email notification").

Please let me know if you want me to create you an account in my forum to reproduce this error or anything else.

(2013-12-17, 02:08 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I haven't seen this bug but will try to reproduce it in testing.

If anyone else gets the error of can reproduce it, let me know.

@marcus123 it is never a good idea to post test account info publicly-- even registered account info with no staff permissions.

Thank you Wildcard!

I actually just posted in your plugin thread before seeing the replies there. I have described the bug there and I can easily create a forum account for you just to reproduce the bug and see what happened. It would only take you 2 minutes to login to my forum and access the User CP area to reproduce the bug. This in the case you want to do it (vt all means please feel free to not do it if you want Smile, I appreciate your plugin and it has worked marvelously!).

Having said the above, this issue could perhaps be an issue that is occurring at other forums simply because you have to opt in to that notification option from the User CP (not from a thread) to see it. I don't think many forum members at other forums will choose this and the ones who choose it may in fact prefer no sideboxes as that means a wider forum and no advertising, hence they would not report the bug. As it goes, our forum has been up for 7 months and we never realized this bug until a forum member told us (and he is a new member too who simply wanted to get notified of all threads he posted to ask for help on topics related to what we cover in our forum).

Thanks for any interest shown in having a look at this bug!

(2013-12-17, 03:24 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]I am very sorry I was referring to PM

Hi there Marcus,

Thanks for the reply. In your reply where you referring to giving you the login details for an account to reproduce this issue? I'd be very happy to do this so you can see how it occurs!

Since this thread was posted initially in the developer area, can I ask, are you a MyBB developer? I am simply asking to know who will be accessing my forum, not questioning you per se Smile

Thanks again.
I suggest you to PM .M. or D666 they're like most experienced here!!!!
(2013-12-17, 06:01 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest you to PM .M. or D666 they're like most experienced here!!!!

Thanks Marcus, much appreciated buddy!

I think I will wait if WildCard can have a quick look as I have a fairly basic MyBB forum setup so maybe this could be a bug that could be occurring with other installations (just a thought, not saying it is or will!). This plugin is so helpful and it's among the plugins I consider essential (plus Fassim, Google SEO, and a couple anti-spam registration plugins).

One thing, do these developers accommodate such PMs asking for help? Can we contact them even if we have low post counts? I am looking to make a donation here (as a thank you for this software and to add my grain of sand to the community), and I already donated to the community of the other forum software I use so I was given something akin to "priority" for help (I didn't even know they'd give me that, I only knew they would give me a forum badge LOL), so perhaps that's the case here where donating members can PM for such cases?

In any case, I appreciate any help given and what you guys are doing with MyBB Smile