MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Encrypted Passwords ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to find where the encrypted passwords would be located in the database, where would this be? And exactly how would I get there?

I have a test forum on local where I am simply teaching myself how to do many things, but this I cannot figure out.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here...

DB -> mybb_users -> password

Kinda obvious, don't you think (*slaps*).
I'm new to this, so it wasn't really that obvious. :/
You're looking for a user password... User table, under password.

I, personally believe this to be a security risk, but that's just me.
If you're teaching yourself things -- the difference between encryption (reversible) and hashing (one-way) should be paramount. MyBB does not encrypt passwords, that is a major security risk. Anything that can be encrypted can be decrypted. MyBB hashes them, which is non-reversible. Stuff cannot be "unhashed".

But in response to your question, Ben is correct. You may also be interested in the hash_password function in (iirc) inc/functions_user.php.

Edit: Ninja'd twice. Toungue
(2013-12-20, 08:31 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Ninja'd twice. Toungue

By the same person, no less Toungue
(2013-12-20, 08:31 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]But in response to your question, Ben is correct. You may also be interested in the hash_password function in (iirc) inc/functions_user.php.

This could possibly be the update_password or the salt_password functions in inc/functions_user.php.