MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I almost gave up......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started forums probably 15 years ago or longer....at the dawn of forum making. Started with phpbb....loads of time digging into the code and upgrading. After way too much time invested I searched for an easier way.

I found SMF.....loved it at first but the constant updates that broke my highly modded board drove me nuts. I then searched for a better solution.

I finally paid for vBulletin.....by this time I was a little too late on the forum craze and didnt have many users after Facebook came around and drove everyone away from forums. Waste of money....however I had paid for custom mods for phpbb and smf before so wasting money was "normal" to me.

I then went to Joomla, then Wordpress....also tried blogger and tumblr. I like them all except they couldnt fulfill the void of a forum no matter how many plugins claim they were forum additions.

This brings me to a few days ago, I decided to give a forum another shot. I found MyBB and instantly fell in love. It looked great, like vBulletin yet was simple to use like SMF. Plugins seem fairly simple to install and I was happy once again.

I then added one plugin and the nightmare began again....the nonstop fixing coding....this isnt how this was supposed to be!!! It was supposed to be more simple and easier. Well after working and finally fixing most of the coding errors for this one plugin I had enough and thought maybe I'll give phpBB another shot. Afterall since the last time I was using that software it was phpbb 2.0.

Well much to my dismay, it is the same old phpBB....I really dont like the look of it. They have a very vanilla initial install, and were lacking the mods I wanted. For some reason they have a huge base of users yet cannot develop a simple Calendar mod because as one senior member of their support forums said, "Not many people want it."

So going back to my hearts desire and the look and feel I truly enjoy, I am now back again with MyBB. I am really happy too. No more flip flopping, no more starting over.....I am here to stay!
Liked your forum software walkthrough but always missed the consistency. Rule is simple : pick one and stick on it. Picking one is the main part. If it is wrong then its a fault pertaining to your end. Then the rectification is by sticking on it only. << Well, thats just my point of view.

We're glad you loved MyBB and you can't get as much support anywhere as you can get here.
Welcome to the party.