MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods on this forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried looking for a thread on this but couldnt find any......

What are the mods currently in use on this forum if any?
MySupport (open source)
Goodbye Spammer (open source)
A custom plugin to show blog announcements on the forum index
A custom plugin to push certain issues from the bug reports forum(s) to Github
A custom plugin for internal stuff (Staff documentation, a staff timezone chart, and a tool to analyze debug logs from the Merge System)
A custom plugin which takes our installation statistics and visualizes them with pie charts
A custom plugin to manage site-wide permissions (Blog, mods site, wiki, main site CMS) (Today, this only works for the main site CMS and mods site)
A few custom plugins to help prevent spam/common attacks

That's about it as far as I can remember.
Edit: delayed response !

My Support & GoodBye Spammer are the well known modifications used on this community forum
Thanks for the info guys. Nathan, is there any reason why the custom plugins are not available to all? Now a lot of those used would have no reason to be but say for example like the custom blog announcements on the forum index. That I would think would be useful for users and also possibly be more reliable and better updated than any others found in the plugin section.

The reason I ask is that I am looking for an announcement plugin like you have here for the forum main page.

I see a few options but not sure they would work like yours here and look as nice. Plus it seems most plugins were developed a while back and are not being kept up to date with the latest releases. Whereas I bet you guys here stay up to date on things with the latest MyBB release.
(2013-12-23, 05:36 AM)Jump1979man Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the info guys. Nathan, is there any reason why the custom plugins are not available to all? Now a lot of those used would have no reason to be but say for example like the custom blog announcements on the forum index. That I would think would be useful for users and also possibly be more reliable and better updated than any others found in the plugin section.

There are two main reasons as to why. The first is simply due to how specific they are. The one you mentioned is probably the only one which may be of use to some forum owners. The second reason is for security. Some of these plugins are years old, going back to the MyBB 1.4 days. Knowing how they work could provide a way to compromise the forums (worst case scenario).
(2013-12-23, 05:36 AM)Jump1979man Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I ask is that I am looking for an announcement plugin like you have here for the forum main page.

Are you talking about the coloured bars? eg. the one which says "Latest News: MyBB 1.6.11 Security & Maintenance Release (October 8, 2013)" or the Announcements category which lists blog posts?

If you're talking about the coloured bars then these are just template edits, there is a tutorial here.

If you're talking about the announcements category, this plugin is hard coded to our forum IDs and our blog so it's very basic and not exactly portable.

As Nathan said, the rest of the plugins are either already publicly available or too specific to be useful.
yeah its the colored bars. Was looking for something easier than just editing code in the template everytime. For long term announcements that would be great but if they are daily or weekly, it could get tedious. Maybe not....I might give it a try. Thanks,
There is one here: Can't say I've used it so I can't speak for how it works/well it works: Hope this helps. http://mods.mybb.com/view/ougc-announcement-bars
Thanks, I will probably at some point maybe give it a try. I dont think its been updated in a while though.
Quick question about the blog...

Is the blog mod custom? I saw mentions of plugins that work with it, but I didn't see mention of what plugin it is. I took a look at the blog source code, and there are mentions of WordPress in the source. Is it a plugin that integrates the two?
Pages: 1 2