MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions about mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to start a website, the heart of which will be a forum. This is the first time I’ve done anything like this. I have no programming skills, and don’t intend to learn any. I’ve been told that the best way to do this is to start with a good forum platform. I have some questions about your software.
1) How is your security? How often do you get hacked?
2) Will posts that are typed in other languages (Chinese, Russian, etc) be displayed properly? Is it possible to add a google translate dropdown to translate the website into any language?
3) Can the blog link to videos, be shown as the “front page” of the site, and can I sell products from it?
4) Is text/voice chat available? Specifically, users should be able to go to a list of members who are online, sort the list by sex, age, etc, select a member, and send him a chat request. When the member accepts the request, a text chat window will pop up, and audio will start.
5) Can thumbs up/thumbs down votes be given to individual posts, and cumulative total votes be displayed under member’s avatars?
6) Is it possible to display information about each member under the avatar?
7) Is it possible to make polls with up to 20 options?
8) Is it possible for members to send each other PMs, and for the admin to see these PMs if necessary?

Thank you
(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]1) How is your security? How often do you get hacked?
MyBB has a very good track record for security, there have been very few major security issues discovered and they are generally patched very quickly.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]2) Will posts that are typed in other languages (Chinese, Russian, etc) be displayed properly?
In general, yes.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to add a google translate dropdown to translate the website into any language?
Possibly to add, yes, but you'll need to know HTML and be willing to edit the forum templates to do so.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]3) Can the blog link to videos, be shown as the “front page” of the site, and can I sell products from it?
It is possible to run a blog such as Wordpress as your front page, then run your forum from a seperate folder. Similar deal with running an ecommerce platform to sell things.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]4) Is text/voice chat available? Specifically, users should be able to go to a list of members who are online, sort the list by sex, age, etc, select a member, and send him a chat request. When the member accepts the request, a text chat window will pop up, and audio will start.
No, and this would require you to put in significant development work to make happen.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]5) Can thumbs up/thumbs down votes be given to individual posts, and cumulative total votes be displayed under member’s avatars?
Yes, reputation points can be given to posts. It shows the totals in the users info next to a post.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]6) Is it possible to display information about each member under the avatar?
Yes, although depending on what/how you want it displayed you may need to make edits to the templates.

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]7) Is it possible to make polls with up to 20 options?
Yes

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]8) Is it possible for members to send each other PMs, and for the admin to see these PMs if necessary?
Sending, yes. Admin viewing, there is a mod to allow you to do that, although I'd consider that pretty bad practice to do.
1. Getting hacked is mainly users' fault, not software's. If you use "test" as password, MyBB can't do anything about it. Same could be said about using untrustworthy plugins - make sure they don't contain security holes before activating them. MyBB itself can have security holes too, of course, just like any other software, but they're rather rare and patched immediately after being found.

4. There is cometchat integrated with MyBB, however it's paid: https://www.cometchat.com/buy Not sure if it contains sex etc. sorting in any licence though.
Thanks very much CameronBig Grin
(2013-12-24, 02:13 PM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]2) Will posts that are typed in other languages (Chinese, Russian, etc) be displayed properly?
In general, yes.
Can you give me examples of when it doesn't work?

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]3) Can the blog link to videos, be shown as the “front page” of the site, and can I sell products from it?
It is possible to run a blog such as Wordpress as your front page, then run your forum from a seperate folder. Similar deal with running an ecommerce platform to sell things.
Looking at this site, I assumed there is a blog built into mybb. If so, are you saying it's limited, and in what ways?

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]6) Is it possible to display information about each member under the avatar?
Yes, although depending on what/how you want it displayed you may need to make edits to the templates.
Basically I'm going to ask members a series of multiple choice questions; I want to display the answers under their avatars. Can tell me more about the limitations, or provide a link?

Thanks Destroy666
(2013-12-24, 03:20 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Same could be said about using untrustworthy plugins - make sure they don't contain security holes before activating them.
How do I make sure?

(2013-12-24, 01:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]5) Can thumbs up/thumbs down votes be given to individual posts, and cumulative total votes be displayed under member’s avatars?
Yes, reputation points can be given to posts. It shows the totals in the users info next to a post.
I voted for your post. I looks like they limited the rating to +1; it can be set up to allow negative votes too, right? I don't see the total for the post here. Can mybb display both positive and negative votes for both the post and the user, rather than a total?
2. Languages normally show up correctly providing that your database uses UTF-8, your web server serves up the generated HTML as UTF-8, and the user's browser sends input as UTF-8. There is a menu item in the ACP (Admin Control Panel) to check your forum database tables as being UTF-8. Both your web server (such as Apache) and web browsers normally properly handle UTF-8.

3, 4. MyBB only releases a forum software. Check out the Third Party Integration forum as to how to share username and password with other software. MyBB can be integrated with WordPress, 123flashchat, etc.
(2013-12-24, 04:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]How do I make sure?

There are 3 ways:
- learn PHP and check their source yourself
- ask someone to check it for you
- check http://community.mybb.com/thread-133659.html (not all are listed there), avoid unreliable premium sites. But that won't fully stop you using vulnerable plugins.
(2013-12-24, 04:40 PM)wulfgar1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-24, 02:13 PM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]In general, yes.
Can you give me examples of when it doesn't work?
There are some unicode characters that get cut out of messages (specifically 4-byte ones or longer). There are very few common languages that use characters in that range (if any), but the Emoji characters are all in that range.

(2013-12-24, 02:13 PM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible to run a blog such as Wordpress as your front page, then run your forum from a seperate folder. Similar deal with running an ecommerce platform to sell things.
Looking at this site, I assumed there is a blog built into mybb. If so, are you saying it's limited, and in what ways?
The MyBB blog is run separately to the forums and a plugin/mod was developed to link the two together.

(2013-12-24, 02:13 PM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, although depending on what/how you want it displayed you may need to make edits to the templates.
Basically I'm going to ask members a series of multiple choice questions; I want to display the answers under their avatars. Can tell me more about the limitations, or provide a link?
MyBB lets you add custom bits of information to users profiles, normally it just shows on the users profile pages but it can be made to show next to posts. There is a page in the docs about it http://docs.mybb.com/Help-Customizing_po...ile_Fields

(2013-12-24, 02:13 PM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, reputation points can be given to posts. It shows the totals in the users info next to a post.
I voted for your post. I looks like they limited the rating to +1; it can be set up to allow negative votes too, right? I don't see the total for the post here. Can mybb display both positive and negative votes for both the post and the user, rather than a total?

Yeah, you can set it to be negative and positive. I *think* there is a mod that allows you to set it to show the negative and positive totals next to the post but I'm not entirely sure.
thanks all for your excellent support