MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [update] make version update test /forum ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have been reluctant to update from "...1.6.5 whilst the latest generally available release is MyBB 1.6.11 (1611)." since we have "XThreads v1.47, now taking up less space in your ACP plugins list." for some special forums on the site, and are not sure how the update will effect the plugin.

Is it possible to create a duplicate board (/forum1611 copied from /forum165) on the server, with a new database (copied from the old), and then try the update/s ?

Ie, if there is a problem with the 1611 update and xthreads, the 165 board can then remain in use while the 1611 board is worked on for updating ?

Thoughts ?
does your web host allow using multiple databases - that is, do you have provision for using another database ?
if so then it is easily possible to copy your forum and update it to check the performance
It's pretty easy. Check out my thread on backing up and restoring

http://community.mybb.com/thread-2446.html

Once you backup your database you'll need to make a new database and restore the backup you just made to that. You'll then be able to do everything stated in your first post.
Thank you for the followup !
HostMantis says multiple DBs are ok.
Am taking the following steps and wonder if you could advise me if they look ok...
1. copied /forum1605 to desktop and changed name to /forum1611
2. copied /forum1611 back to public_html/forum1611... in the process 4 files were 'existing', and 'overwritten' per the attached scrnshot.
3. was able to open /forum1611, but not sure how to link to a new DB.

Currently the server has 'forum1605' and an 'information_schema' DBs
On another MyBB forum site we have 2 DBs and and only 1 'information_schema'.

Got definition of information_schema...
ANSI standard set of read-only views which provide information about all of the tables, views, columns, and procedures in a database. It can be used as a source of the information which some databases make available through non-standard commands, such as the SHOW command of MySQL, the DESCRIBE command of Oracle, and the \d command of PostgreSQL.

Do all board DBs use the same information_schema ?

Guess the main question is how to create the new 'test' DB for the new 'test' /forum1611, and see what happens from there ?

Is there published MyBB documentation for that process ?

(2013-12-26, 05:08 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]does your web host allow using multiple databases - that is, do you have provision for using another database ?
if so then it is easily possible to copy your forum and update it to check the performance
Does the server have cpanel? If so setup a new database using the MySQL Wizard. As for making the test install see the new database you'll need to edit the config.php file. Upgrade files can be found at http://docs.mybb.com/Upgrading.html

If the server has cPanel or Directadmin I can give you a hand, just shoot me a Private Message.
[update] for hope to clarify question, and additional clarification with the process.
Thank you for the info !
I read the refi info thread, and exported the 1605 DB per the attached jpgs.
I didnt change any export settings... they looked ok per the info thread.

Now, as I understand it, I will import it back into the new 1611 DB, that was created with the MySQL® Database Wizard, and then proceed to upgrade /forum1611, at http://www.mybb.com/downloads...
AFTER changing the config.php file to something like below, ie to refer to the new DB ?
$config['database']['type'] = 'mysqli';
$config['database']['database'] = 'akm_1611';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';
$config['database']['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['database']['username'] = 'akm';
$config['database']['password'] = '1611akm';

(2013-12-26, 08:50 PM)marcgo15 Wrote: [ -> ]Does the server have cpanel? If so setup a new database using the MySQL Wizard. As for making the test install see the new database you'll need to edit the config.php file. Upgrade files can be found at http://docs.mybb.com/Upgrading.html
If the server has cPanel or Directadmin I can give you a hand, just shoot me a Private Message.