MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Posting Through Email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

At my website, www.slaveryreport.com, I'm trying to setup a feature for remote reporting (posting via email through a mobile app). I've got an app already through conduit (Slavery Report Android App Link).

I'm also using XThreads to create my forms for the reports on my website (look here: Reports Forum.

I'm trying to find a way to make it so that the results of the app report are sent to an email, and then from the email to my website and a new thread is created (only threads, not posts) by which is uses the xthread custom thread fields as well as the natural mybb thread fields.

Is there a plugin that already does this? Or is there a way I can ask for someone to make one for me? If it's too much trouble, may I ask how much it would cost for someone to do something like this for me?

-MasterZuFu
What you are asking is beyond the normal scope of forum software.

You need to create an email account which is set up to forward emails to a web service on the same server as your MyBB forums. This is not doable from within MyBB. You need your email provider to do this. How it is accomplished will depend on the email software used and the OS of the email server.

That web service needs to parse the email, validate the user (forum permissions), then create the new thread. This is doable, but can be messy. How do people send in their username and password? Surely you don't want them sending it plain text. Does the thread title come from the email Subject header, or just take the first line of the email body? How do they specify the target forum?
Unfortunately that one isn't working. Sad