MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb Admin Abilities for Family / Friends
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whenever you promote a family member or friend to an admin role;

1. Which type of admin powers do you give to your family members you promote?

Ability to make backups?
Access to templates?
Control over members?
etc...

2. Which type of admin powers do you give to your friends you promote?

Ability to make backups?
Access to templates?
Control over members?
etc...
I'd say it's all about trust and needs. For example, on this forum it's safe to say I have a certain level of trust with the rest of the team. For this reason I have the ability to manage users, edit templates, and manage the forums. I don't have any reason to access the database backups, plugins, or admin permissions, therefore I don't have any access to them.
The issue with allowing other users access to make DB backups is that they can potentially run off with the data.
(2013-12-29, 09:18 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]The issue with allowing other users access to make DB backups is that they can potentially run off with the data.

In the context of OP's question, that risk is negligible, as you are putting that trust in someone who you should trust. I'll admit, when it comes to friends, I wouldn't necessarily put that level of trust in them, but definitely in my family.

To be honest though, I wouldn't promote family or friends to an admin role. If there's a staff disagreement, then you lose your friends or estrange yourself from your family.
(2013-12-29, 09:26 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-29, 09:18 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]The issue with allowing other users access to make DB backups is that they can potentially run off with the data.

In the context of OP's question, that risk is negligible, as you are putting that trust in someone who you should trust.

I have trust issues, which is why I'm the only admin on AN. But yeah, I wouldn't promote either family, or friends (unless there was a signed contract which would bind by law) to an administrative role. I did once... Never again.
Same here. I ran a forum before Tweakbytes and promoted one of my good friends and active users to Admin role and viola there started fights about who owns the content and stuff. The guy completely deleted the forums and some of the data. I am not advising against it and it does work well for certain forums so just be cautious.
Hmm, so you still wouldn't give, lets say, "your cousin" admin permissions to manage members, or "your brother" admin permissions to manage the templates?
I think I might be coming from a different perspective here, but I give no one admin privileges.

My forum is small so I do not need help in administration. I need help in moderation-- I promote mods to handle the users and smods to handle the mods. I deal with the maintenance and coding of the forum and do not need help in doing so.

In the interest of security, I don't even use the forums at all with my admin account but rather surf as a regular user.