MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 100% Private Forum ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to make mybb a 100% private forum ? meaning no guests can see anything other than a useless screen. or one i can specify ?

I believe i have changed the guest permissions so they can not view the forums, but this doesnt seem to go far enough. It still looks like they can register, as the register link shows etc.

I have installed clives "Invitation System". as i only want ppl i invite to be able to sign up and post.

I want the forums to be a private study group - that is not shown on search engines or to other people at all!.
Disable Restoration
Just Disable Registration

Go to Admin Area >> Configuration >> User Registration and Profile Options >> Disable Registrations ( Set it to Yes)

As you have already stated you have disabled everything for guests. It should work.

After that if you want to remove registration link too. You can do that easily by editing a file.
Create a robots.txt file and upload to the main dir of your forum.

Inside, add the following:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /

This will prevent Google and other search engines from crawling your website.
seems all is not well..

If I disable the registration system, then NO ONE can register even when I send out invitations via the "invitations manager".. But if I enable the registration system, then it means anyone can register.. is this right ?

So how do I make it a private forum, where only ppl I invite can register ?
(2014-01-05, 11:18 AM)gazonline Wrote: [ -> ]seems all is not well..

If I disable the registration system, then NO ONE can register even when I send out invitations via the "invitations manager".. But if I enable the registration system, then it means anyone can register.. is this right ?

So how do I make it a private forum, where only ppl I invite can register ?

admin needs to approve new users...
As in leave registration open and only approve users who I want to sign up ? This sounds good in theory, but how am I going to know who signed up through my "invitation" link and who signed up directly via the site.. ??

I find it amazing that were in 2014 and still simple things like this haven't been implemented on any software.. I came from phpbb to here as someone suggested u could have a private forum. But I guess not!.

Is there a way to set it so that "just guests" can not register ?
What about using htaccess for login instead and enable registration?
@ gazonline, you can try this premium plugin from MyBBsource
You could create the users as the admin and then email them the login credentials.

Another thought: Install the registration security question plug-in and instead of an easy question, ask for a password/phrase supplied in your invitation.