MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I need lots of help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I don't have MyBB set up or anything and I want to implement it. How can I? Does it create my own site? Is MyBB Free? I need lots of help, so if you don't want to help I understand.
MyBB is free. Docs section provides almost all the required details.
MyBB is free software, but you'll need a web host and a domain to host your own forum. As .m. mentioned, the installation process is covered on the docs site.
Can you walk me through the best way getting a domain and web host?
(2014-01-06, 06:28 PM)Zephyr123 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you walk me through the best way getting a domain and web host?

I'm assuming you know your basic vocabulary (DNS, registrar, host, etc.)

To get a domain, you have to buy one from a registrar, such as Name.com, Namecheap, GoDaddy, eNom, among others. (If you want to use Name.com, I do have an affiliate link)

When you have that domain purchased (.com domains are usually about $10-11), then you should proceed to find a web host. Name.com, GoDaddy, Hostgator, 1and1, and Dreamhost are all well known companies, among others. DH has the favorable reviews from what I've read.

When you sign up at the host, they usually ask if you already have a domain or want to purchase one, enter the domain that you bought from your registrar, and proceed on. When they've received payment, then you'll get an email with information you'll need to manage your account and site.

SIDE NOTE: Why not buy your domain from your host to keep everything together?
There have been countless stories of people having their hosts suspend their accounts or terminate them, keeping the domain hostage to them. By using two different companies, you avoid the possible scenario of having one company take everything from you at once.

If you put your domain in during registration, then they add that domain to their servers, so that Apache (webserver software) knows to serve pages in a certain directory when you request domain.com, if they use cPanel, then you can manage DNS records in the control panel, among other things. To link your domain from your registrar to your host, you'll have to find the page to edit information and set its nameservers. Google "your host name nameservers" and you should find the appropriate information to put in there.