MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't restore backup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our forum has been down for quite some time. Unfortunately our club's resident PHP guru is no longer available.

I'm trying to import an SQL backup file and I'm getting the following:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL query:

-- MyBB Database Backup
-- Generated: 12th February 2013 at 23:32
-- -------------------------------------
CREATE TABLE mybb_adminlog (

uid INT( 10 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
ipaddress VARCHAR( 50 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
dateline BIGINT( 30 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
module VARCHAR( 50 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
action VARCHAR( 50 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
data TEXT NOT NULL ,
KEY module ( module , action )
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = utf8;

MySQL said: Documentation

#1050 - Table 'mybb_adminlog' already exists
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm following instructions for myphp for backing up and restoring the SQL database doing an "import'.

My ISP says the database is empty but I can see all the data is there with my FTP client. Really don't know what I'm doing .. Huh

The problem is that we can't log in to the forum at all and just get a blank page ( no errors etc, just a white screen)

Here is something someone posted several months back trying to help.

Login to your cPanel.
Fire up PhpMyAdmin
Navigate inside your database (by choosing from the left column).
Drop all the available tables.
Click Import (at the top).
Choose your old database file and upload.
It will rebuild all the tables as per your old database.

What is meant by the 4th line "Drop all the available tables" ?? how do I do that?

Thanks ..
You need to change your config file to mirror the changes to the DB you want to use. Also, delete all available tables and re-upload in PhpMyAdmin
Thanks but this forum must have been hacked or something. Nothing seems to work like it should. I've been working on it on and off for several months now.

I just tried to install MyBBS from scratch and got as far as the area to configure the SQL database. But I can't access it. I've gone into my server's admin control panel and I can access the SQL data base, but when I plug in the various data into the mybbs install area for the database setup my name/log in and/or password are rejected.

Will try once more to call the host provider to see if they can make the SQL database work again. They haven't been very helpful I'm afraid.

(2014-01-09, 12:46 AM)Addiction Wrote: [ -> ]You need to change your config file to mirror the changes to the DB you want to use. Also, delete all available tables and re-upload in PhpMyAdmin
Cant you backup your database, make a new one in your hosting CP and import the data from your old MySQL into the new one?
Can your host enable SSH access for you? That's the best way to restore a backup vs browser based tools. See this thread on how to restore the database
http://community.mybb.com/thread-2446.html
From what you're describing there is either a problem with your MySql database or the tables really exist (hence you can't create them twice).

The cleanest way would be to simply create a new database and import the sql file as you're doing right now.

You can then edit inc/config.php with the new database details. (changing database won't cause any data loss as long as you have the most recent backup of the old database)
(2014-01-10, 12:41 AM)SentoWeb Wrote: [ -> ]From what you're describing there is either a problem with your MySql database or the tables really exist (hence you can't create them twice).

The cleanest way would be to simply create a new database and import the sql file as you're doing right now.

You can then edit inc/config.php with the new database details. (changing database won't cause any data loss as long as you have the most recent backup of the old database)

Thanks guys. I had a backup of the SQL database, but when I tried to "import" ?? it won't complete the backup. I may have made things worse because I just tried a fresh install of the latest version of MyBBS and that stops working when I get to the part of the install where you set up the SQL database.

In frustration I've blown away everything and am trying to install MyBB from scratch ... as I've said, I can't get past the SQL database install point. Everything has been uploaded and all chmod changes are done. But that is as far as I can get.
Problem solved: Wink

It took a few hours on the phone with my ISP. Compounding the problem was that I was dealing with level 1 and level 2 tech support. After finally getting to level 3 they determined my SQL had a problem AND the FTP portion of the server also had a problem. (been having trouble just getting access via FTP lately).

It required them to work over the weekend and I guess was some kind of bug (software and/or hardware) on the server. Monday afternoon they reported that everything was now working (but didn't tell me what they did) They only said, "the problems have been solved". And they were !!

I've had this provider for maybe 15 years or more and have only had two major problems. Both times it was the SQL area and both times were within the last 3 years.

Our Forum is now fully functional and updated. Thanks to everyone, and sorry I kinda confused things .. The problem ended up being something none of us could control and required a high level support from my ISP.

(2014-01-10, 05:29 PM)Rich A Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-10, 12:41 AM)SentoWeb Wrote: [ -> ]From what you're describing there is either a problem with your MySql database or the tables really exist (hence you can't create them twice).

Thanks guys. I had a backup of the SQL database, but when I tried to "import" ?? it won't complete the backup. I may have made things worse because I just tried a fresh install of the latest version of MyBBS and that stops working when I get to the part of the install where you set up the SQL database.

In frustration I've blown away everything and am trying to install MyBB from scratch ... as I've said, I can't get past the SQL database install point. Everything has been uploaded and all chmod changes are done. But that is as far as I can get.