MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Website being spammed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2014-01-18, 04:02 AM)Rakes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-17, 04:50 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-17, 04:35 PM)Rakes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-15, 02:08 PM)MikeInToshx Wrote: [ -> ]Plugins that also might help against bots are StopForumSpam and Registration Security Question

Ehm, you do know security questions won't work take that from a person who has written game bots to spam bots for fun.

It depends on what the questions and answers are. Mathematical questions (What is 1+1?) are usually a bad idea, but niche specific questions (How many seasons of Dexter were made?) can help prevent spam quite well.

If you know a little PHP you could also modify the script to serve an image instead of the plain text question. I've found that works well for all bots.
Well there's still a problem there, you can always just get the questions manually and push them into a bot, thus it'll still get past it

That still requires human intervention. We're talking about bots - xRumer for example - which are designed to spam websites on a massive scale. If you're targeting a specific forum to spam you may as well create the account yourself. The scenario you describe generally isn't a problem for most webmasters as it isn't worth the effort.
I've already blocked a lot of ip's, mail domains, browser agents, etc etc. That works great. I've also hidden some other easter eggs for bots. but the bots will find them out when they get to that stage Smile
Pages: 1 2