MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2014 MyBB vs phpBB vs SMF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2014-01-26, 02:24 PM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]How is PHP more simple than JS besides the setup...

NodeBB is way more awesome than Discourse.

Node > RoR
To be fair, Discourse at-least tries to innovate with the whole trust level system and so forth.
What sort of innovative things does NodeBB do?
Discourse is not even responsive.
Horrible design descision all over the place and since I looked at it last time (like a year ago) nothing seems to have changed in that regards.

Use NodeBB, the user experience is superior to any existing community software.
The guys making it are young, talented, hungry and listen to what the community says.
(2014-01-27, 03:53 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]Discourse is not even responsive.
Horrible design descision all over the place and since I looked at it last time (like a year ago) nothing seems to have changed in that regards.

Use NodeBB, the user experience is superior to any existing community software.
I've tried NodeBB before. The experience is exactly the same as any other software that I've used before. The only difference is a fade effect.

I don't see any of this "superior user experience" that you do.
And honestly, it's a default theme. I'm not a big fan of phpBB's default theme. I'm not a big fan of MyBB's default theme. Most of the default themes aren't particularly good.

NodeBB just seems like an inferior version of Discourse to me.
I'm sure we can all agree on that.

NodeBB had a major update a few days ago.
Look at that forum index and tell me it's like every other forum index.
It's a full screen experience, it's responsive and way faster than the rest.
It also scales great due to the nature of Node.
(2014-01-27, 03:59 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure we can all agree on that.

NodeBB had a major update a few days ago.
Look at that forum index and tell me it's like every other forum index.
It also scales great due to the nature of Node.
Wow, it looks even worse than it was before. So much clutter.
They will offer themes with traditional layouts for haters like you.
(2014-01-27, 04:05 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]They will offer themes with traditional layouts for haters like you.
I'd rather just use MyBB instead.
I'm not a big fan of Discourse either, but I'd rather use that than NodeBB.
Even resizing my window a tiny little bit results in the sidebar vanishing and showing the last five posts (not even topics) of every last forum is just.. Ugh..
Well, give 'em a chance in future.
It's alpha and unlike MyBB, they are working full time on their software.

https://github.com/designcreateplay/Node...its/master
(2014-01-27, 03:43 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]NodeBB offers a hosting service them self for people too stupid or lazy to follow a step by step guide and renting a VPS.
Cool, this didn't exist last time I took a look at it.

(2014-01-27, 03:43 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]What makes you think it is important to support people who don't know what they are doing and who have a ugly, outdated board on a free host that most likely wont be used and abandoned anyway.
Don't get me wrong, they shall have it, but personally I strive for major enhancements only technology like Node could bring and don't care that much about clueless people.

In general I'm with you, free hosts and outdated scripts aren't generally worth containing to support (Especially in the PHP community, PHP has come leaps and bounds in the past few years but there are still hosts running, and therefore people using, PHP 5.2!) however when I started learning web development that is what I did, I had a few web host, I had some files and I tinkered about. I ran a forum, it (obviously failed), but I learnt. I moved up to paid shared hosting, started something new, it did better but still failed. I kept trying. Now I run a large site, have multiple servers and know so much more that I would'nt've otherwise learnt had that simple entry way not been there.

(2014-01-27, 03:43 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]Ugh that sounds like I'm a horrible person, I do like to teach though - but I won't let such arguments hold back progress or stop me from recommending superior, open source software.

Likewise, don't feel as though I'm saying your wrong, I just get the feeling that the next generation of technologies don't seem to cater to the entry-level as much (I expect/hope that that will change in due time, as they become more widely used).

(2014-01-27, 03:53 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]Discourse is not even responsive.
Responsiveness is great for some things and it does make development tidier, but in terms of a full web application I'd actually prefer a dedicated mobile theme. That way you can cater for mobile devices much better (i.e. strip out unnecessary JavaScript or even include JS that would be useless on desktop, you can also bring down the page size by not serving excess HTML such as minor stats to mobile users). Compare the Facebook or Twitter sites to their mobile counterparts, both do the same things but you'd not have the same level of functionality if it was purely responsive.

(2014-01-27, 03:59 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]Look at that forum index and tell me it's like every other forum index.

It is not like other forum indexes, but that does not necessarily make it better or worse, it just means it different.
Watching the web requests, there is less than a 5% difference in loading times between my own MyBB site and the NodeBB community site (although its kinda hard to tell given the latencies of my internet)

(2014-01-27, 04:03 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, it looks even worse than it was before. So much clutter.

Discourse has plenty of clutter too, most forum platforms do. Having lots of stats and numbers are cool but they mean a lot of information to process. Personally I find that XenForo does the presentation of things like views, replies and dates the best, they're still there but they don't seem as obvious.
Awesome response. I agree with most of it.
It doesn't surprise me that MyBB isn't much slower, it is probably the fastest of the PHP boards and the main reason I love it so much.

About responsiveness, I think that's something every forum software should implement, you can detect what platform people are using and use scripts such as jquery mobile conditional.
That's what I'm doing with my theme for the extra awesome mobile functionality such as tap and hold, slide to offcanvas etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8