MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2014 MyBB vs phpBB vs SMF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2014-02-10, 11:03 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]PS: By the way, why is 2.0 necessary? 1.6 seems great. I just wanted to know.

Obsolete code, better coding practices, etc. Things do change and we can't run 1.6 forever. Look at the original MyBB
(2014-02-10, 08:28 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-10, 11:03 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]PS: By the way, why is 2.0 necessary? 1.6 seems great. I just wanted to know.

Obsolete code, better coding practices, etc. Things do change and we can't run 1.6 forever. Look at the original MyBB
From the sounds of it, 2.0 just brings things in line with modern trends like conversations, mentions and so forth.

As for the coding practices, most users don't really care what the state of the code is. As long as it works. So, I don't think that code quality would be able to win people over on it's own. And honestly, the current code-base isn't as "terrible" as some people make it sound like. I don't see why the features can't just be added in a regular release. If it speeds up development then, that's a bonus. Code quality shouldn't be the focus of 2.0 though.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Wordpress' code quality. Doesn't stop anyone using it.
I'm not saying that - I'm saying there's a number of developers officially, and apparently they want all of us to help... There are better coding practices than what is currently existing.
How IS the MyBB code compared to say phpBB or Vanilla?
(2014-03-21, 10:36 PM)error Wrote: [ -> ]How IS the MyBB code compared to say phpBB or Vanilla?

It's a little dated, but efficient, beautiful and effective.
(2014-03-24, 07:52 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-21, 10:36 PM)error Wrote: [ -> ]How IS the MyBB code compared to say phpBB or Vanilla?

Keep in mind that the last time I used phpBB was 3.0.8 and before I knew PHP well... But the codebase over there looked like a mess as well.
(2014-03-24, 09:34 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-24, 07:52 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]

Keep in mind that the last time I used phpBB was 3.0.8 and before I knew PHP well... But the codebase over there looked like a mess as well.

I've never looked at phpBB or Vanilla so I really can't compare; I can just say what I know about MyBB's.
I may be biased, but seriously when I look at my forum, I think it puts most other forum softwares to shame. Paid or unpaid.

If it were responsive, that would be nice, but MyBB GoMobile is fine and well better than Tapatalk which IMO is a greedy group of crap holers.

The one thing I'd like to see more of with myBB is plugins kept up to date and more themes created. There's just not a lot of incentive because there's no centralized way to make dough off a plugin or theme, thus many pro coders are going to stay well away.

That being said, regardless of outdated plugins and themes, MyBB has supplied nearly every function and feature I've needed albeit with about 40 plugins. It's fine, as creating software of this magnitude to work smoothly has got to be a huge undertaking and it's impossible to cater to everyone.

Some things I've found critical to my satisfaction with MyBB

The theme
ASB
MyAlerts
hidden links
Highslide Zoom
PHP Conditionals
My Advertisements
Posts required to access threads
Undo Delete
Assigned Avatar
Dissect Duplicate Posts
Move Posts
Are you a human

And a few other plugins and countless core MyBB features.
What makes phpBB valuable is that you can have a decent amount of faith in its future development.

As a MyBB user, I am very stressed about the future of MyBB's development. 1.8 is like two years late and 2.0 seems impossible to reach. Simple things, like mobile themes, seem to have no hope of being included in the default package. Most plugin authors have left the scene.

I wouldn't select MyBB for a new project at this point.
I haven't used SMF, but I have used both phpBB and MyBB. phpBB feels dated. There isn't as much you can do with it and it doesn't have as good of a modding community as MyBB does. The only thing I would choose over MyBB right now is XenForo, but that would only be if I could afford to drop $140 on a script. MyBB has great features for the price (free!).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8