MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Just a few questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for what may seem like some dumb questions but I thought it best to ask since this will be my first upgrade on a new forum.

I'm currently running myBB ver 1.6.10 and will need to upgrade to ver 1.6.12

The thing is, I've made some changes to some of the core files for various reasons and I'm worried that the upgrade is going to mess up my forum design and operation. So much so that in fact I'm considering not actually running the update at all.

I've grabbed a screenshot of the changed files and was wondering if it's simply a case of backing these files up then simply over-writing them again once the upgrade is complete ?

[Image: 1_24_01_14_9_23_35.png]

If I get stuck is there someone who may be willing to guide me through the process perhaps ?

Thanks in advance

Spas
Of course, the first thing you should do before upgrading is to make a backup of your forum, in case things go wrong.

With the gif files, language files and editor.js, you won't have problems, just upload them again after the update.

In global.php and functions files, you'll have to re-edit the new files after updating.
I suppose that you have a log of the changes you've made there, right?
Well MyBB 1.6.11/12 didn't change any images so its only the other 6 files that may conflict.

Taking a quick look:
editor.js was changed with 1.6.11
functions_indicators.php wasn't changed
global.lang.php was changed with 1.6.11
member.lang.php wasn't changed
functions.php was changed with both
global.php was changed with 1.6.11

If you're not sure what you changed in the files try and diff them with the 1.6.10 originals, most text editors/IDEs will let you do this (in Notepad++ load the original file and your edited one and hit Alt+D to compare them).

Once you know what you changed in the files you can then copy those changes into the 1.6.12 files and run the upgrade.
Thanks a lot for the advice guys! very appreciated.

I'll give what you said a go and see how I get on Smile

I'll come back and let you know

Spas