MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Layout questions from a phpMyBB convert
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I'm a phpMyBB convert trying out MyBB for the first time, on the recommendation of many colleagues. So far, the installation and administration of my new forums has been a breeze - and I'm very impressed.

One area that I am struggling with, however, is customization of the rest of the page. I'm looking to do what should be some very simple things but am drawing a blank when looking through the documentation as well as the available mods.

First, I want to create a sidebar where I can incorporate some social media widgets - for which I already have the code for. I'm also interested in customizing the header with not only my own banner but also with a twitter scrolling ticker - for which I have the code also.

Is there a standard method to add my own custom code to all pages (index, forum, individual post, etc) in these "outside" areas? What is the best approach here?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can supply!
(2014-01-25, 02:29 PM)essonyc Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. I'm a phpMyBB convert trying out MyBB for the first time, on the recommendation of many colleagues. So far, the installation and administration of my new forums has been a breeze - and I'm very impressed.

Welcome Smile

(2014-01-25, 02:29 PM)essonyc Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a standard method to add my own custom code to all pages (index, forum, individual post, etc) in these "outside" areas? What is the best approach here?

Each page (generally speaking) has its own template and then possibly many other templates that make up the 'pieces' of the page. index.php, for example uses templates in the 'Index' group of each template set, the main template is simply named 'index'.

So to put something in the 'outside' areas everywhere means editing all of the affected templates.

(2014-01-25, 02:29 PM)essonyc Wrote: [ -> ]First, I want to create a sidebar where I can incorporate some social media widgets - for which I already have the code for. I'm also interested in customizing the header with not only my own banner but also with a twitter scrolling ticker - for which I have the code also.

If you want a sidebar with static content then you could edit all of your templates to include the sidebar table configuration and your custom HTML.

If you want something easier and more powerful (latest threads, who's online, etc.) then you can use Advanced Sidebox. With it you won't have to edit any of your forum's templates to create sidebars. And you can use your custom HTML or one of several PHP modules that deliver dynamic content.
(2014-01-25, 04:32 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-25, 02:29 PM)essonyc Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. I'm a phpMyBB convert trying out MyBB for the first time, on the recommendation of many colleagues. So far, the installation and administration of my new forums has been a breeze - and I'm very impressed.

Welcome Smile

(2014-01-25, 02:29 PM)essonyc Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a standard method to add my own custom code to all pages (index, forum, individual post, etc) in these "outside" areas? What is the best approach here?

Each page (generally speaking) has its own template and then possibly many other templates that make up the 'pieces' of the page. index.php, for example uses templates in the 'Index' group of each template set, the main template is simply named 'index'.

So to put something in the 'outside' areas everywhere means editing all of the affected templates.

(2014-01-25, 02:29 PM)essonyc Wrote: [ -> ]First, I want to create a sidebar where I can incorporate some social media widgets - for which I already have the code for. I'm also interested in customizing the header with not only my own banner but also with a twitter scrolling ticker - for which I have the code also.

If you want a sidebar with static content then you could edit all of your templates to include the sidebar table configuration and your custom HTML.

If you want something easier and more powerful (latest threads, who's online, etc.) then you can use Advanced Sidebox. With it you won't have to edit any of your forum's templates to create sidebars. And you can use your custom HTML or one of several PHP modules that deliver dynamic content.

Advanced Sidebox looks perfect. However, for some reason I'm unable to see it as an available plugin in my ACP - even after uploading the extracted ASB folder to my /inc/plugins directory. Should I dive down another x number of levels to locate the files that need to be uploaded for this plugin?

Thanks!
Yes it sounds as if you put the package in the wrong location. It is packaged so that you copy everything in the 'Upload' directory into your forum's root (where index.php and global.php are located).
(2014-01-25, 05:33 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it sounds as if you put the package in the wrong location. It is packaged so that you copy everything in the 'Upload' directory into your forum's root (where index.php and global.php are located).

I tried that as well. The folder is named 'Uploads' (plural), found in my forum's root.

Perhaps I'm not uploading the correct folder structure. After extracting the plug-in, I have the folder structure found in the attached image.
No you need to upload the contents of the 'Upload' folder, not the folder itself.

When you are done, there will be no new folder names in your root folder.
(2014-01-25, 06:08 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]No you need to upload the contents of the 'Upload' folder, not the folder itself.

When you are done, there will be no new folder names in your root folder.

Got it. Sorry for the confusion. That did the trick. Thanks again!
np Cool