MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: META Description Not Working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't ran into this before but for some reason my meta description on my forum isn't being indexed... Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

I made sure I added the tag and everything correctly several times now. I'm a bit confused!

I suppose this could be put in a MyBB board, but it's also kind of general web development... Move it if needs to be. Blush
Does anyone even use the meta description anymore? I thought Google dropped that years ago, and I doubt Bing ever did. I don't know about Yahoo though...
What's the best way of giving your site a description when searched through Google then?

I thought meta description was the way but clearly I'm no good with this stuff. Toungue
You can use a notice like mybb.com on header

Google verify your site from left to right and up to down
Google sometimes takes the meta description, but also sometimes just uses content from the page.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35624?rd=1
Give it some time. On less busy and even sometimes on busiest sites, it takes time to recrawl.

(2014-01-26, 07:28 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone even use the meta description anymore? I thought Google dropped that years ago, and I doubt Bing ever did. I don't know about Yahoo though...
I think you are confusing it for meta keywords. Meta description is still going strong and is the base of any site.

(2014-01-26, 10:20 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Google sometimes takes the meta description, but also sometimes just uses content from the page.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35624?rd=1
Correct.

A standard meta description is shown most likely on the homepage but if the user is searching for other keywords and if they are present on your homepage or on posts, the related content in the meta description is likely shown instead of the standard preset meta description.
strange...
for me work well...
[Image: PTQoPum.png]
[Image: ZuDXTOR.png]

forum below has only two months
[Image: z9NyaSs.png]
[Image: P5qHopY.png]
It usually takes a few weeks to take affect.
(2014-01-27, 06:07 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-26, 07:28 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone even use the meta description anymore? I thought Google dropped that years ago, and I doubt Bing ever did. I don't know about Yahoo though...
I think you are confusing it for meta keywords. Meta description is still going strong and is the base of any site.

Ah, yeah. Whoops.