MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Simplfy Sign up process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Really, get rid of the stupid password and email confirmation requirement, I know that can be fixed with a plugin or core edit but seriously - it should't be there in the first place.

This is 2014, not 2002, thanks.
I strongly think that those should be kept, especially the confirm password field!

It's the options on the right that should be done away with.
May I refer to this or 100s of other articles from UX experts regarding this topic.

http://designmodo.com/ux-tips-registration-forms/

This...
"Don’t make the user fill in the same field twice

Almost everyone has gone through this – a registration form that requires you to type an email or password twice. Historically, this was designed to prevent mistyping errors. Have you ever typed your email or password wrong during registration process? Have you ever NOT copy-pasted the necessary field whenever the webpage allowed?

Well, even if there is a typo in the registration form the user can still recover using email. The user may spend extra time recovering his or her account, but it’s definitely not a big deal as opposed to the time we will save for hundreds of users who fill in the form correctly."

...just nails it.
(2014-01-27, 06:06 PM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]May I refer to this or 100s of other articles from UX experts regarding this topic.

This...

Almost everyone has gone through this – a registration form that requires you to type an email or password twice. Historically, this was designed to prevent mistyping errors. Have you ever typed your email or password wrong during registration process? Have you ever NOT copy-pasted the necessary field whenever the webpage allowed?

Well, even if there is a typo in the registration form the user can still recover using email. The user may spend extra time recovering his or her account, but it’s definitely not a big deal as opposed to the time we will save for hundreds of users who fill in the form correctly."

...just nails it.

I have typed in the wrong password many times, only to have the second field catch my mistake.

For the email... That is unnecessary. I can see what I typed in in the first field since it isn't a secret field and notice my mistake.
(2014-01-27, 07:53 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-27, 06:06 PM)maniacmusic Wrote: [ -> ]May I refer to this or 100s of other articles from UX experts regarding this topic.

This...

...just nails it.

I have typed in the wrong password many times, only to have the second field catch my mistake.

For the email... That is unnecessary. I can see what I typed in in the first field since it isn't a secret field and notice my mistake.

"Well, even if there is a typo in the registration form the user can still recover using email. The user may spend extra time recovering his or her account, but it’s definitely not a big deal as opposed to the time we will save for hundreds of users who fill in the form correctly"
I'm all for a much simpler registration form, but I don't think it will happen in 1.8, not yet at least.
I would agree with the confirm email portion but not the email. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to passwords. You can see what you type in the email field.
(2014-01-28, 07:36 AM)iHydra Wrote: [ -> ]I would agree with the confirm email portion but not the email. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to passwords. You can see what you type in the email field.

Again...

"Well, even if there is a typo in the registration form the user can still recover using email. The user may spend extra time recovering his or her account, but it’s definitely not a big deal as opposed to the time we will save for hundreds of users who fill in the form correctly"
I'm all for removing the unnecessary settings on the right site and removing the email confirmation field. The password confirmation should be kept (it saved my time already multiple times and I'm sure I register myself many more times than you Wink). I'll try to make a pull request with the required changes soon.
I think the main reason for not doing this in 1.8 is simply for backwards compatibility. I think that without completely reworking the registration process it wouldn't have as much of an impact as you'd expect it to. 1.8 is only supported to introduce a handful of changes and we're already pushing ourselves with the work we've already done and have planned. It's definitely something we'd consider for 2.0 though, I know Justin has given this some thought.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8