MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: new user default group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am wanting to make a new user default group for newbies until they have a certain no of posts. After that they would become under the umbrella of the registered group. Right now it shows the Registered as the default for all new users. I do have user titles based on number of posts within the registered users. That's aside from the user groups themselves such as guests, awaiting activation etc.

With the newbie registration group I want to stop links and posting new threads and some others issues until they reach the required number of posts. How do I make this group the default group for new users when Registered is showing as the default, and without wrecking the custom user titles images based on no of posts?

I also saw on another post, a question about a function for placing a link to forum rules aside from the registration agreement, but I cannot find anywhere that is discussed specifically as to where that function exists to add the url to. I use the registration agreement by mybb but also have posted forum rules which I want users to read before posting. Any help appreciated.

PLease understand, I am not a techy speak savvy individual. Step by step really speaks clearly to me. Smile

Thank you
Vic
Edit your Registered Group. Rename it to newbies or whatever you want (also you may want to edit General, Forums and Posts, Users and Permissions, Miscellaneous tabs) then install this plugin: http://mods.mybb.com/view/custom-user-permissions

For displaying forum rules go to Forums & Posts pick a forum click on Options >> Edit Forum, scroll down until you locate Forum Rules, choose Display Method, enter Title and Rules
For placing new registered users to different group this may help:
http://demonate.com/thread-657.html
THank you both very much.

Actually when I first read the response by marcus , my response made me think of the bluefaced shocked smiley whose hairs stands on end. LOL> Thank you about the forum rules info too.

I don't want to lose the registered group. I want people to move from awaiting activation into Just New or whatever I call the group, and after the required number of posts, they will automotically be moved into Registered. THe user title in the Just new group would only be Newbies with restricted functions. ONce they get the required no. of posts they would then hopefully move to Junior user title and automatically into the Registered group, where user title changes based on no. of posts and there are no restrictions per se.

So I think effone, that link showing making the new group the default will resolve the problem. If upon completing the required post count they will automatically become moved into the registered group, it's exactly what I want to do.

Thank you, will try it, and see what happens.
Vic

(2014-01-31, 06:56 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]For placing new registered users to different group this may help:
http://demonate.com/thread-657.html

I created the newbies group. BUt in your link it says to go to ./member.php in order to change the default user group to my new group.

I am not sure where that is. I am looking in templates but don't see that. Please advise.

Thank you.

I have been searching through all the templates related to member.php and looking for the specific code mentioned on effones link. I can find reference of member.php and I see occassionally $mybb->settings
but I cannot find the right place with this code :

if($mybb->settings['regtype'] == "verify" || $mybb->settings['regtype'] == "admin" || $mybb->input['coppa'] == 1)
{
$usergroup = 5;
}
else
{
$usergroup = 2;

I have going through every member template and either I am missing it or I am not in the right place. Please advise.

Thank you
Vic
Its not in templates. You have to open the member.php file you have uploaded to your forum root.
The trick I've mentioned is a Core Edit, not Template Edit.
(2014-01-31, 06:02 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Its not in templates. You have to open the member.php file you have uploaded to your forum root.
The trick I've mentioned is a Core Edit, not Template Edit.

Well that does explain it not being in all the templates I have been looking through.

I've never opened a php file on my site before. I am using Filezilla...but what do I do to actually open it and edit it. Sorry, this is making my palms sweat just thinking of doing it. I see the file but I don't know what to do...
Open the file from the default installation archive file (or download existing from your site using filezilla). Open in notepad (or any text editor) make suggested changes, save it. Reupload and replace the previous one in your site.
Ok so I thought I did what you said and have been trying to test registering and see if it worked. BUt it comes up "there was an error validating your registration". I tried on another computer as well. So I don't know if it's what I was trying to do, or as a result of the mybb upgrades to the forum or whether the plugins akismet, stopforumspam and recaptcha aren't playing nice together.

I should note that the new group 'Newbies' is showing in the dropdown list in user profile "additional user groups".
It should not throw an error for this edit.

If your 'Registration Method' is set to "Instant Activation" then your newly registered user should be registered in your newly defined usergroup.

What changes exactly you have done? What is your registration method set?
Disable the mentioned plugins and try again.
Up until I upgraded I was getting lots of registrations aka spammers. I upgraded from 1.6.9 to the current version on the 29th. I did step by step following the upgrade directions. The problem was I uploaded initially into the website directory and had to delete all that out after HolyPhoenix helped me know where the upload was actually supposed to go as I never never done it before.

I did the step by step reactivation of the plugins etc, in the order of the upgrade instructions. What is new is recaptcha, but I have deactivated it thinking it might be a problem, but just tried again and it still errored. I have person who registered yesterday at 1:52 and is awaiting activaction. So something has changed but I don't know what.

I can't think of any other changes I have made other than starting the Newbies group. I don't think I changed any permissions for any of the other groups.

I changed my Registration method from email verifcation to Instant activation---still errors. I have managed to put the guy waiting on activation into the newbies group and have the group in my user views.

Will deactivate akismet and stopforum spam and try again.

I have tried to do one step at a time to find the issue. I was able to register a trial user and it did go to the Newbie group. I used Instant activation. I reactivated akismet and registered another user still using instant activation. That worked.

I then tried reactivating stopforumspam, and also tried email verification and errored. I need to change no of registrations from an ip because now its telling me I cant register from this ip for 24 hrs. Dodgy

But the group Newbies IS working and those 2 that did get registered automatically went into the group. Now to find what the other issue is.

I managed to get 2 more trial users registered. BOth were done with email verification. I also enabled stopforum spam. That didn't seem to hinder this time.

However. The first two trial users with instant verification did go into the Newbies group as desired. I tried test posting and that worked as well.

The two trial users with email verification which I normally use, went into the Registered group. I don't understand why. THe only difference I cna think of is stopforumspam is activated. Akismet was already active with the first 2. So...

OK I have been testing user registrations:

Thinking it might be stopforuspam-- I tried first with it deactivated with email verification --user went into Registered group

same except changed it to instant activation > went into newbies group

activated stopforum spam , used instant activation> went into newbies group

changed to email verification > went into Registered group as the primary

Here's my question---is there something that is in the code that directs the email verification process to move the activated acct user into the Registered group?

If it all works except in that email process, is there something that needs to be changed for that process to enable the new user to be placed in the Newbies group instead of Registered, as is done with Instant activation?
Pages: 1 2