MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User Details in Classic mode to be aligned right
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the current MyBB classic mode, the user details are on the left side. I was wondering how about have it on the right side for MyBB 1.8 as it would be slightly different from what we have now (And had for some time) and I feel that in a thread, many do not look at the reply posters name first. I believe that when you are viewing a new thread, the reader would most likely read the post/comment then take a look at the posters information so since English starts from the left, if the classic mode is aligned towards the right, it would slightly make more sense.

I mean I would personally prefer to start reading then from left (That is how we read English) and then move towards right to complete reading and right after the reading, there would be the posters information such as username, etc.
It should be a simple change for you to make on your own board. I don't think this needs to be packaged into 1.8...
(2014-02-06, 03:56 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]It should be a simple change for you to make on your own board. I don't think this needs to be packaged into 1.8...

True it would be a simple change however not many people are advanced or know their way around MyBB. Plus this would give the current MyBB classic mode is a different look, which each major MyBB upgrade is about, an improved look.
I had my user information on the right of my forum for about a week (since its a little more modern styling). I got wayyyy too many complaints about it from my users and had to get it moved to the left.

I think if they were to move it to the right, it wouldn't really be "classic mode" anymore either.
(2014-02-06, 08:01 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-06, 03:56 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]It should be a simple change for you to make on your own board. I don't think this needs to be packaged into 1.8...

True it would be a simple change however not many people are advanced or know their way around MyBB. Plus this would give the current MyBB classic mode is a different look, which each major MyBB upgrade is about, an improved look.

The classic look is another name for the Usenet look. Changing something for the sake of it being different is never a good idea.
(2014-02-06, 10:05 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-06, 08:01 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]

The classic look is another name for the Usenet look. Changing something for the sake of it being different is never a good idea.

It is not just a different look for the sake of it, it is a different look to help make the readers or users perspective in reading or viewing a thread.

(2014-02-06, 09:18 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]I had my user information on the right of my forum for about a week (since its a little more modern styling). I got wayyyy too many complaints about it from my users and had to get it moved to the left.

Off course. That is because we all are used to having it on the left, unexpected changes are not always pleasant. Ex: If you have been seeing an individual with long hair and suddenly they show up with a bald head without you having any clues about what happened, you would find it weird.
Quote:It is not just a different look for the sake of it, it is a different look to help make the readers or users perspective in reading or viewing a thread.

Can you provide any research which shows that it's better for the reader? We could do something similar with the modern look and move the author info below the actual post. We can't assume moving it to the right would be better, but we know that the classic look does work and is widely liked.
(2014-02-07, 09:15 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It is not just a different look for the sake of it, it is a different look to help make the readers or users perspective in reading or viewing a thread.

Can you provide any research which shows that it's better for the reader? We could do something similar with the modern look and move the author info below the actual post. We can't assume moving it to the right would be better, but we know that the classic look does work and is widely liked.

I started a poll yesterday. Here are the results so far: http://puu.sh/6P8a9.png

We can see where majority of the votes are leading to.

Basically, people care about the content of the post than the poster. Everyone starts reading from the left and move their eyes towards the right (West to East). So when someone stops reading at the east, why have their eyes go back to west to see the posters details when they can go more towards the east to see the username.

Probably we can set up a poll here if you want to see what the webmasters think over the posters/users.
Quote:I started a poll yesterday. Here are the results so far: http://puu.sh/6P8a9.png

I was referring to something like A/B testing on a wide scale. Voting is all well and good but it doesn't show you if x is better than y.
(2014-02-09, 09:52 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I started a poll yesterday. Here are the results so far: http://puu.sh/6P8a9.png

I was referring to something like A/B testing on a wide scale. Voting is all well and good but it doesn't show you if x is better than y.

Just forget about this suggestion then. My suggestions on MyBB lead to nowhere anyways.