MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Keep the 1.6 series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please keep the 1.6 series alive as not everybody is fond of the 1.8 series and not all people like the fact that its base/default theme is what it is.

Or at least convert and make a 1.6 series template 100% functional on the 1.8 series.

I myself do not have the time to search for every template change and implement it into the 1.6 default to make it function completely.

So if you can please do this since you would know everything changed at least make it downloadable or ship it as a optional theme.
Quote:Please keep the 1.6 series alive as not everybody is fond of the 1.8 series and not all people like the fact that its base/default theme is what it is.

The 1.6 series will be supported for a number of months after 1.8 is released as stable. Like with MyBB 1.2 and MyBB 1.4, MyBB 1.6 will eventually become unsupported. As it isn't finished nor even in the beta stage, I wouldn't recommend judging it quite yet.

If you don't like the default theme you don't have to use it. It's not meant to be anything special, it's there for you to replace or work upon.
(2014-02-13, 01:33 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Please keep the 1.6 series alive as not everybody is fond of the 1.8 series and not all people like the fact that its base/default theme is what it is.

The 1.6 series will be supported for a number of months after 1.8 is released as stable. Like with MyBB 1.2 and MyBB 1.4, MyBB 1.6 will eventually become unsupported. As it isn't finished nor even in the beta stage, I wouldn't recommend judging it quite yet.

If you don't like the default theme you don't have to use it. It's not meant to be anything special, it's there for you to replace or work upon.

What about vulnerability's? is like the 1.6.12 vulnerability is that being patched or what? also as for like 1.6.13 if that is released will vulnerability's still be patched even when 1.8 is released?

And the main thing I do not like is the base/default theme on 1.8 and I do not feel comfortable working on that to build new themes so I wanted to know if you or other team members can release the 1.6 series default as an option for 1.8.
Quote:What about vulnerability's? is like the 1.6.12 vulnerability is that being patched or what? also as for like 1.6.13 if that is released will vulnerability's still be patched even when 1.8 is released?

MyBB 1.6 is the current stable version of MyBB and therefore is still maintained, developed, and patched. Security updates will be available for ~6 months after MyBB 1.6 reaches EOL. So from the release of MyBB 1.8, you'll still get a year's worth of security updates and 6 months of support. After that you will need to upgrade to MyBB 1.8.

We won't upgrading the 1.6 default theme to be compatible with 1.8. It doesn't make sense for us to do that as MyBB has been completely rebranded. As MyBB is a community project, it's up to the community to design new themes and plugins.
Is there a link to this MyBB 1.8 theme? I would like to see it in action.

(2014-02-13, 01:53 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]As MyBB is a community project, it's up to the community to design new themes and plugins.

This doesn't make sense. If it is up to the community, why is the theme being redesigned in v1.8? Let the community design new themes.

Can't you just implement needed features or bug fixes, instead of redesigning everything for new versions? Look at Vbulletin, why are you going down the same road? Surely, wisdom would cry aloud here and tell you to not do it, but you are doing just that.

I also build new themes just like Anarchy, so I'm pretty hot headed right now too. Just as I was finishing off my completely redesigned themes to focus on building my community, I learned of 1.8's new theme. Fabulous. I thought you would have learned by now that people on forums HATE change, both forum owners and members.

EDIT: I thought I read somewhere on this forum a few months ago that everything in 1.6 (including the theme) will be compatible with 1.8. Or did I read incorrectly?

I learned in an I.T. networking course "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!"
(2014-02-13, 06:04 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a link to this MyBB 1.8 theme? I would like to see it in action.

Follow the instructions here and set up a copy of 1.8 on your local PC.

(2014-02-13, 06:04 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]This doesn't make sense. If it is up to the community, why is the theme being redesigned in v1.8? Let the community design new themes.

It is just a new default theme, nearly all forums will just replace it with their own one. The few that won't will have a much nicer and more modernised theme. People building their own themes will have a more modern standards-complaint theme to work with.

(2014-02-13, 06:04 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]I also build new themes just like Anarchy, so I'm pretty hot headed right now too. Just as I was finishing off my completely redesigned themes to focus on building my community, I learned of 1.8's new theme. Fabulous. I thought you would have learned by now that people on forums HATE change, both forum owners and members.

[Image: workflow.png]

(2014-02-13, 06:04 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: I thought I read somewhere on this forum a few months ago that everything in 1.6 (including the theme) will be compatible with 1.8. Or did I read incorrectly?

You read incorrectly. The themes themselves may be installable but many templates will be out-of-date and missing many things. From my understanding, bug/security fixes will implemented in 1.6.

(2014-02-13, 06:04 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]I learned in an I.T. networking course "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!"

If everyone stuck to that idea then we'd still be using MS DOS. Someone needs to take the step to push things forward.

The new theme using modern day standards (HTML5, CSS3), swaps out Prototype for the more widely used jQuery (Take a look around at many MyBB forums and see how many load jQuery ontop of Prototype). These are all great changes.
Yes, understood. The comic strip makes sense. I am a theme designer, not a programmer, I've never had time to learn PHP or MySQL, or maybe my IQ doesn't allow me to Smile I can only edit PHP code to an extent, or write basic "if, else" statements, that's it.

So I'm only interested in the theme or visuals of MyBB 1.8, not so much about the backend core changes, which from your reply seem to be quite necessary. Thank you for clearing this up for me. I thought the theme was a major overhaul.

It seems as if the 1.8 theme will be even easier to modify, so I have nothing against it. I will install a demo soon, but in the meantime, does anyone have a screenshot of the 1.8 theme?
(2014-02-13, 08:24 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Live demo, latest code: http://vm-3.nmalcolm.kd.io/Teamwork/mybb/

WOW! I LOVE it because it's not very different to 1.6. Keep it looking like that, and I'll never complain. I just thought it was going to get a totally different redesign, so pardon my rant.

(2014-02-13, 01:44 AM)Anarchy Wrote: [ -> ]And the main thing I do not like is the base/default theme on 1.8 and I do not feel comfortable working on that to build new themes so I wanted to know if you or other team members can release the 1.6 series default as an option for 1.8.

Well Anarchy, now that I see the 1.8 theme live, it is extremely similar to the old one, and to be honest it shouldn't be any more difficult to modify this default theme than the 1.6 theme. Just remove what you don't like, and add what you do like. As a theme designer, I would feel really comfortable working on the 1.8 theme to build new themes.
(2014-02-13, 08:24 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Live demo, latest code: http://vm-3.nmalcolm.kd.io/Teamwork/mybb/

This doesn't seem to be working at this time. Of course, that's probably to be expected with development code, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it's a browser dependency instead of the server just being down.

Quote:vm-3.nmalcolm.kd.io cannot be served at this time.

Wrong domain/server configuration?
vm-3.nmalcolm.kd.io might be pointing to an nonexistent server. You can correct this by logging in and checking your "Environment Settings". Make sure this domain name is pointing to a server that's healthy and serving a web site. (e.g. if you stop your webserver, or run it on a different port that we don't know about, this error can happen.)

Our servers are not doing okay
If this is your server and you've done everything right, it's probably our fault. Please let us know at [email protected]

My browser (Firefox) spent a long time accessing something like fonts.googleapis.com before that message appeared.

Ooops - never mind about the fonts - it's the server error page itself that is using fonts.googleapis.com.
Pages: 1 2