MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpBB 3.1 thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I don't think MyBB's was much better before 1.8.
(2014-10-22, 08:53 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-19, 04:48 AM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]The phpBB theme makes me gag tbh. I avoid even signing up on sites that use it.

I have no idea why so many phpBB sites seem to stick with the default theme.
I keep running into massive forums which for some reason.. Have decided that it was a good idea to stick with the default theme, when it's incredibly dated and very bland.

Granted, it's not exactly phpBB's fault that people stick with the default theme, but maybe they should consider bundling a better theme with it.

The reason they stick to the default theme is because all if not most of the modifications support that design. I haven't used phpBB in a little while but i believe it's Prosilver.

It's a pain to install modifications to custom skins, You wouldn't believe how much time it takes to install a modification. You have make all the changes manually. It's a pain in the butt. Especially if you mess up one tiny tidbit somewhere then you have to go back through all the code and either fix it or revert it.

With MODx it supports installation of Prosilver mods so it's much easier to install mods using MODx on Prosilver than it is to install mods on any other design. Especially custom.

Which is the main reason I'm back here again, I keep trying to use that script but it's a pain to install mods, It's a pain to create phpBB skins & there templating sucks. They need a proper editor for template editing and they need to make template editing easier, It's just a pain at the moment.

As well i just tested phpBB3.1 the other day for the heck of it. Don't like it. They really didn't do as much as i hoped they would. They say all these great things about it but when you actually install it and take a look the design hasn't changed, They added in a notification dropdown like IPB which i love but they didn't do that for the Messaging system and they just made the default theme look bad.

The ACP still looks bad as well. So, phpBB3.1 really hasn't changed since 3.0.12.

MyBB is still better in my opinion.
phpBB focused very much on long term goals with 3.1, and while a lot less was changed on the front end, at this point I wonder if they have more to offer long term. Their default theme is responsive (whoo!), they have used a real template system for 3.1 (twig), have synfony components, etc. A lot of the backend code has really been restructured for flexibility, and their new extensions system has support for template level events (hooks) as well, which is something MyBB can't offer.

I really wish more would have changed on the front end with 3.1, and the ACP is still confusing and is a pain to use, but I have a lot of confidence in their development team at this point. I agree that, for the here and now, MyBB 1.8 is better, but phpBB may really catch up when 3.2 arrives next year. We shall see...
I haven't tested but I'm excited about it, being honest. We shall see..
Pages: 1 2 3 4